Skip to main content

The Happiness Myth: Why Dismissing Doesn't Make You Happier


We have been all there. You share a personal struggle, a moment of vulnerability, and everything is met with a dismissive, "Lighten up! I found it funny."

It stings. This flippant response, often phrased as, "You found it offensive? I found it funny. That's why I'm happier than you" might seem harmless, but it reflects a lack of empathy -- the cornerstone of strong relationships and genuine happiness.

The bad thing is -- if it came from your own family member -- my dear son -- 'my sun, my moon, my stars and everything in between'. Maybe he was just trying to convert the sad mood to happy mood; on the contrary, it made me sadder. I thought he knew me. Comforting myself, yes, I knew him -- he used to crack jokes, make us smile, laugh; for some time he even played as a stand-up comedian. 

I have been in down mood for some time. Deep sorrow has seemed to wrap and squeeze me  tightly for some weeks. Things have been overwhelming that I have felt I have had no energy to think and do my things at my best level. It is not my old self. Or is because I am aging? Or drowned in sorrow?

As Maya Angelou eloquently stated,

I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.

Sharing challenges is not about seeking pity. It is about seeking connection. When we open up, we crave understanding that will help stop undesirable things to reduce myself -- not a one-upmanship in humor.

My fault? I am guilty -- perhaps. I have been away from my family for almost two (2) decades. I wish I could bring back the hands of time so I could passionately mentor my children in-person about the value of compassion and empathy, repeatedly, day in, day out. Did my elders fail in their teaching face-to-face, or did I, remotely, or all?

Sometimes, it is easy to say that you regret doing or not doing a thing in the past. But if you have no choice, you will not regret doing something that will make you sad in the future. If your choices were between death and life, you could not choose death or the end of it all. You would choose life. Because even if you get sad along the way, there is hope to be happy -- as long as you are alive.

Here's the truth: Happiness is not a competition. It's not about being happy or happier or happiest, nor finding the "funny" in someone else's pain. True happiness comes from fostering genuine connections, where we can both laugh and cry with each other. It is about practicing what I passionately maintain -- empathy. 

If he vented out something in me and I would react the same -- "You found it offensive? I found it funny. That's why I'm happier than you" -- what would he feel? I know he felt it, too. Empathy would wrap me.

Empathy allows us to see the world through another's eyes, to understand  his experiences and feelings, even if they differ from our own. It does not require condoning his actions or sharing his emotions, but simply acknowledging their validity.

The next time someone shares a vulnerability, resist the urge to dismiss it as a joke. Instead, listen actively, offer support, and maybe, just maybe, you'll discover a deeper connection that brings you both a greater sense of happiness.

Laughter is a powerful tool, but so is empathy. Let's use them both to build a more understanding and joyful world.

---


If you were a mother of a child who told you "You found it offensive? I found it funny. That's why I'm happier than you" after sharing your story of vulnerability, consider these:

It can be hurtful when you share such a narrative to your son and he dismisses it. Here's how you can respond to him and how to help him develop compassion --

Acknowledge his feelings: "I see you found it funny. Humor can be a great coping mechanism." This validates his perspective without completely agreeing.

Explain yours: "But for me, it was actually a challenging experience. It can be tough to open up about things that are bothering us." This helps him understand that humor might not be the best response for everyone.

Open a conversation: "Can you tell me why you found it funny? Maybe I can see it from your perspective." This encourages him to see the situation from another angle and fosters communication.

Share about empathy: "It's important to try to understand how others might feel, even if we don't share the same experience. That's called empathy." This introduces the concept in a relatable way.

Use examples: "Imagine if your friend was feeling down, would you want to make him laugh or understand why he's sad?" This provides a practical example of empathy in action.

Focus on growth: "Let's work on being more understanding of each other's feelings." This sets a positive goal for future interactions.

Develop compassion together: Read stories or watch movies about characters facing challenges. Discuss how the characters might be feeling and how others responded to them. Volunteering in your community can also expose him to different experiences and build empathy.

By having open conversations and practicing empathy together, he can develop a deeper understanding of others' feelings. 

As for me, I gave my son life, and the first time I saw him, he gave me reason and direction to live, and fight for my life, no matter what.

---

Image credits:  Pixabay | geralt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol