Skip to main content

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

 

And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity.  WebMD.com says, "Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria."

Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again.

If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it.

When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and mobile phones -- would all add up to sometimes beat the cool temperature.)

If they only analyze it, the electric bills can be higher than the figure they wrongly think would be rising if the A/C is switched on.

Hydesac.com has this to say when you turn the air conditioner on and off -- "By the time you get back, temperature will be so high that your air conditioner will consume more energy cooling down your home than it would if you left your system on all day." (The thing is it can be just left on and adjust the thermostat to 3-5 degree higher, or better still, buy a programmable thermostat.)

There are other problems arising when you turn on and off the air-conditioner.

When the indoor temperature is high, some appliances may breakdown as electronic items may overheat. (This is the reason I always switch on the electric fan in the kitchen when I do my laundry.)

The indoor quality gets poorer because the home air does not run through the filtration system.

If it is hot, someone can get sick and it can be viral.

In my case, I cannot be productive. The more I need to change clothes because of sweating -- which means more laundry cycles.

We don't have to sacrifice comfort to save a lot of money.

GoodHousekeeping.com, very well said.

According to the same article online, Jennifer Thorne Amann, MES, buildings program director for the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), explains, "Air-conditioning systems run most efficiently when they’re running at full speed."

It further says,  "They're also better at dehumidifying your house when going at full blast."

I passionately maintain my inner 'fan' to get cool every single day. The phrase 'go outside of your comfort zone' does not apply to all -- when health and wellness is compromised.

---

Image credits:  Pixabay / Jill Wellington

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol