Skip to main content

The Tangled Web: Challenges of Visa Overstays and Paths to a Solution

The dream of a better life can lead people to travel long distances, often seeking work opportunities in foreign countries. However, when visas expire and individuals remain, a complex situation arises – visa overstays. This phenomenon presents a significant challenge for both immigrants and the destination country.

Why Do People Overstay?

There are several reasons why individuals might overstay their visas. One prominent factor is the high cost associated with regularizing their immigration status, and lack of the right resources to rectify such. Hefty fines can create a financial barrier, trapping people in a cycle of illegality. Additionally, some complex bureaucratic processes and fear of deportation can deter individuals from attempting to address their situation, and prolonging such will only make their situations worse.

Caught in Limbo: The Impact of Overstaying

The consequences of visa overstays are severe, impacting both the individual and the host nation. Those who overstay live in a constant state of fear, lacking legal protection and basic rights. They may be reluctant to seek medical attention at hospitals for fear of discovery and deportation. Finding formal employment becomes next to impossible, forcing them to rely on the underground economy  often in unsafe or exploitative conditions, or seek support from relatives and friends, putting them at their mercy and vulnerable situation.

Untangling the Web: Practical Solutions

Achieving zero visa overstays requires a multi-pronged approach. Here are some practical solutions to consider:

  1. Streamlined Regularization Programs: Offering simplified and affordable pathways for individuals to regularize their status can incentivize them to come forward and address the issue.
  2. Reduced Fines: Lowering exorbitant fines associated with overstays can remove a significant financial barrier, allowing individuals to rectify their situation without facing crippling debt.
  3. Community Outreach: Engaging with immigrant communities through culturally sensitive outreach programs can build trust and provide accurate information about the risks and consequences of overstaying, as well as available pathways to legal status.

A Collaborative Effort

Addressing visa overstays requires cooperation between governments, NGOs, and community organizations. 

By creating a more accessible and humane immigration system, we can ensure that those seeking a better life can do so within a legal framework that protects both their rights and the interests of the host nation.

As former US President Jimmy Carter said, 

We have become not a melting pot but a beautiful mosaic. Different people, different beliefs, different yearnings, different hopes, different dreams.

The quote celebrates diversity and the idea that a society can be strong and beautiful by having people from different backgrounds. It acknowledges that people have different beliefs, dreams, and hopes,  yet they can still co-exist and create something valuable together.

Here's an analogy: Imagine a mosaic artwork. Each individual piece is unique, with its own color and shape. But when arranged together, these distinct pieces create a stunning and intricate picture. Similarly, a society with diverse cultures is like a beautiful mosaic, where each culture contributes its unique character to the richness of the whole.

I passionately maintain that a compassionate and well-structured immigration system is vital for a thriving and prosperous society, and I should say, a 'beautiful mosaic of people, beliefs, yearnings, hopes and dreams'.

---

What are your thoughts?  Have you encountered situations related to visa overstays? Share your experiences and ideas for solutions in the comments below

---

Image credits:  Pixabay | ninosouza

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol