Skip to main content

Supporting a Dear Friend in Turbulent Times

Life can be a challenging journey, and sometimes we find ourselves as the lighthouse for those we care about.

I have a very close friend in his early 60's, who is struggling with tantrums and mood swings. We have considered each other as the nearest support since the darkest days. Now he is facing overwhelming personal challenges. Despite being an active member of his church and choir, he struggles to apply religious teachings in his life and often harbors negative emotions. His situation (family, work and everything) seems complicated. 

I passionately make it a point to give reasons to emotions, and silently pray that we can navigate the storms triumphantly. In case you are in the same shoes, I share with you my thoughts.

Empathy and Patience

When dealing with a friend who exhibits tantrums and mood swings, it's crucial to lead with empathy and patience. Remember the times when your friend was there for you, and remind yourself of the genuine bond you share. These outbursts may be a manifestation of the stress he's under, so approach him with understanding rather than confrontation.

Assess Your Physical Limitations

Understanding your own physical limitations is key. While you may be the nearest support, it is essential to establish boundaries. Your well-being matters, too. Ensure that you are taking care of yourself to better assist your friend.

Addressing His Challenges

Your friend is grappling with a multitude of issues. These are undoubtedly heavy burdens. Encourage him to seek solutions. Offer your assistance in researching solutions, but let him take ownership of his problems.

Reflect on Your Support

Remind your friend of the help you've provided during his darkest days. However, avoid using this as leverage in disagreements. Instead, let him know that you have his best interests at heart and that you want to continue supporting him positively.

Encourage Spiritual Reflection

As an active member of the church and choir, your friend is immersed in religious teachings. Encourage him to reflect on how these teachings can be applied to his life. Offer to join bible studies together, fostering a sense of community and spiritual growth. Share stories of personal transformation inspired by faith, highlighting the power of forgiveness and letting go of negative emotions.

Managing Negativity

Dealing with someone who harbors hatred and seeks to leave behind bad feelings, can be stressful. Engage your friend in open conversations about the impact of negativity on his life and relationships. Share stories of the transformative power of forgiveness and compassion, as exemplified in religious teachings. Encourage him to take small steps towards applying these principles in his daily life.

As Homer said,

Yet, taught by time, my heart has learned to glow for other’s good, and melt at other’s woe.

Supporting a friend through tantrums, mood swings, and personal challenges can drain one's energy, especially when you have physical limitations and personal challenges of your own. However your sincere friendship and priceless compassion can be a beacon of hope in one's turbulent life.

By approaching the situation with empathy, addressing challenges together, reflecting on your past support, and encouraging spiritual growth, you can help your friend navigate these stormy waters and find peace and positivity in his life once again.

Sometimes all it takes is one person to make a world of difference in someone's life.

---

Image credits:  Pixabay | 51581

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol