Skip to main content

Turning Graphic Design Talent and Skill into Income

 

I am a creative person, and I am truly grateful to our Almighty God for that heavenly gift, and to my parents for the DNA. Since I was a child, creative activities have brought me an immense joy and also helped me meet my needs.

According to Alex Gonzales, "We all have creative DNA. It’s the instinct and capacity for ideas that exist outside the status quo, the confines of our environment or industry, or even historical ‘best practices.’ We all have it. For some of us, exercising it is natural. For others, tapping into it takes a courageous act."

From Albert Einstein,

Creativity is intelligence having fun.

Creativity is a remarkable gift that allows us to express our unique perspectives, emotions, and ideas. It is a force that can breathe life into the mundane, transform ordinary objects into art, and give a voice to the silent.

If you are one of the fortunate ones blessed with creativity, you possess a treasure that can not only enrich your soul but also serve as a means to earn income.

Graphic design is a combination of both talent and skill, and it often involves the fusion of creativity and technical expertise. Talent can provide a strong foundation for creativity and artistic expression, but skill development is essential to bring those creative ideas to life effectively and professionally. Many successful graphic designers combine their innate talents with continuous skill improvement to excel in their profession.

Graphic design is a vibrant avenue through which you can channel your creativity, have fun while doing it, and make a living by expressing yourself.

Improving Your Craft in Graphic Design Skills

Becoming a proficient graphic designer is akin to refining a fine wine; it takes time, dedication, and continuous learning to be one. Here are some steps to help you improve your craft in graphic design:

1.  Education: Start with the basics. Enroll in graphic design courses or programs that teach you the fundamentals of design principles, color theory, typography, and software proficiency.

2.  Practice: Creativity thrives on practice. Create mock projects, experiment with different styles, and challenge yourself with new design tasks regularly.

3.  Feedback: Seek constructive criticism from peers or mentors. It is through honest feedback that you can identify areas for improvement.

4.  Stay Updated: The design industry evolves very rapidly. Keep abreast of the latest design trends, software updates, and technological advancements.

5.  Personal Projects: Engage in personal design projects that resonate with your passions and interests. This not only keeps your creativity alive, but also builds a diverse portfolio.

6.  Networking: Connect with other designers and professionals in the industry. Networking can lead to collaborations, job opportunities, and exposure to different design perspectives.

Marketing Your Graphic Design Services

Creativity alone won't bring you clients. You need to market your skills effectively. Here's how to get started:

1.  Create an Online Portfolio: Build a professional website showcasing your best work. Include case studies that explain your design process and the problem-solving skills you employ.

2.  Social Media Presence: Utilize platforms like Instagram, Behance, or Dribbble to showcase your work and engage with potential clients. Share your creative process, design tips, and insights to establish authority in your niche.

3.  Networking: Attend industry events, webinars, and conferences to connect with potential clients and collaborators. Personal connections can open doors.

4.  Freelance Platforms: Sign up on freelance platforms like Upwork, Freelancer, or Fiverr to find clients looking for graphic design services.

5.  Word of Mouth: Deliver exceptional work and ask satisfied clients for referrals. Word-of-mouth recommendations can be incredibly powerful.

6.  Cold Outreach: Do not hesitate to approach businesses or individuals who may benefit from your design services. A well-crafted email or message can lead to new opportunities, but be careful not to invade privacy of your prospects.

The Value of Creativity

While creativity is a beautiful gift, it is essential to remember that rendered services related to it, are free.  

A design we see is not as simple as it appears; it often requires a significant investment of time, talent, and effort to create.

A graphic designer does not only produce visuals. He crafts solutions, emotions, and experiences.

For those who need the works of the creatives, it is important to value and respect them. They have valuable lives and family needs to provide, regular bills to pay, etc. (not to mention the risk in exposing themselves to radiation when using tech gadgets) so they must trade their precious time for value. They invested time, efforts and money to learn about and improve their craft, and to buy the software and platforms that they need for the deliverables. PLEASE pay them fairly for their creative skills and expertise, and foster a culture where creativity thrives.


Graphic design is a potent medium through which you can channel your creativity, express yourself, and earn income. By honing your skills, marketing effectively, and valuing your work and the work of others, you can turn your passion into a fulfilling and sustainable career.

I intend to passionately master the art of designs that are of interest to me, where each stroke of creativity on my life canvas becomes a reflection of my unique inner world. I will continue to unleash my creativity, let my imagination soar, and turn my designs as a way of self-expression, source of fun and joy, and hopefully by God's grace, income for my family and retirement.

---

ESTIMATED FEES FOR GRAPHIC DESIGN SERVICES 

Here is a list of estimated service fees in dirhams for graphic design services in Dubai, UAE.  Keep in mind that these are just approximate ranges and can vary based on factors like graphic designer's experiences and expertise, the complexity of the project,  the time required,  the client's specific requirements and budget and the value the graphic designer brings to the project. It is important to tailor pricing according to skills, market demand, and the unique aspects of each project.

  1. Logo Design 1,000 - 5,000
  2. Business Card Design 500 - 1,500
  3. Brochure Design 1,500 - 5,000
  4. Flyer / Poster Design 500 - 2,500
  5. Social Media Graphics 300 - 1,500 per platform
  6. Website Banner Design 300 - 1,500
  7. Packaging Design 2,000 - 8,000
  8. Infographics Design 800 - 3,000
  9. Branding / Identity Design 5,000 - 20,000
  10. Illustration 1,000 - 5,000
  11. Presentation Design 500 - 3,000
It is a good idea to provide detailed quotes to clients based on their specific needs to ensure transparency and avoid misunderstandings.

---

Image credits: Pixabay  | CDD20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol