Skip to main content

On Struggling Parents Still Working Hard in their 50's and Beyond


In the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, it is all too easy to overlook the silent sacrifices that our parents make for us, even as they enter their 50's. Many find themselves toiling away in jobs they may not love, solely for the sake of survival. While their dedication is commendable, it is time for the children, to step up and take responsibility for their own lives and futures, as well as for the well-being of aging parents.

In his sixties, my friend tirelessly labors under the scorching sun, grappling with an increasingly demanding work routine. His workplace has become a realm of distraction as his two grown-up daughters, both married with families of their own, incessantly inundate him with pleas for financial assistance. The eldest daughter seeks money for her birthday celebration, while the younger one urgently requires support to cover her house and lot mortgage. Returning from a recent vacation, he received partial salary that barely covered a week's worth of labor, intensifying the financial strain. Adding to his woes, this morning resorted to wrapping a bandage around his aching left knee, a telltale sign of the physical toll that advancing age has begun to exact.

Imagine your parents, at an age when they should be enjoying the fruits of their labor, are still punching the clock day in and day out. Their retirement plans may be nothing more than a distant dream, a mirage on the horizon. It is a reality for countless aging parents who have sacrificed their comfort and desires to ensure their children's well-being, in their younger days.

One of the crucial lessons we can draw from this situation is the importance of personal responsibility.

Before venturing into marriage and starting a family, it's imperative to be financially prepared. Finances are one of the leading causes of stress and conflict in marriages. By ensuring we have stable jobs, a financial safety net, and a realistic plan for the future, we can avoid the burden of relying on our parents when they should be enjoying their golden years.

Another vital aspect of planning for the future is choosing the right life partner. Marrying the wrong person can lead to financial instability and emotional turmoil, both of which can impact not only your life but your children and parents' lives as well. Take the time to build a strong foundation in your relationship, grounded in trust, shared values, and a common vision for the future.

In many cultures and religions, there is a profound emphasis on honoring and loving one's parents. It's the only commandment with a promise attached to it.

Exodus 20 : 12 NIV says --

Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
This promise underscores the significance of respecting and caring for our parents.

As we become adults and pursue our own lives, it is easy to get caught up in our daily routines. We may assume that our parents, who have always been our pillars of support, are doing just fine. However, it is  essential to take the time to check on them, to ensure their well-being physically, emotionally, and financially. Sometimes, they may not ask for help, but they may need it more than ever.

Charity begins at home, and before extending support to others, we should prioritize helping our parents even in small ways. They have raised us, nurtured us, and sacrificed for us. Ensuring their comfort and security in their later years is a profound expression of gratitude and love.

Aging parents still working to make ends meet serve as a poignant reminder of our own mortality. We are not exempt from the passage of time, and one day, we too will grow old.

The care and support we provide to our parents today set an example for our children to follow in the future.

I passionately maintain that it is important for us to acknowledge the silent sacrifices our parents have made.  Let us not wait until they are worn out from the years of work. It is our duty to ensure their well-deserved comfort and happiness in their golden years.

As we look after them, we also set the tone for how we will be cared for when our time comes.

---

Image credits:  Pixabay | Geralt & Sabinevanerp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol