Skip to main content

Food Delivery Trust Crisis: Responses and Reflections

Recently a video of a food delivery rider has gone viral. He was recorded eating food and drinking beverages assumed to be a customer's order.

This reminds me of my conversation with my niece who ordered foods from one of the leading F&B businesses here.

She cracked a joke, 'Ninang (means 'godmother'), why this food serving is less than delivered same meal before? Maybe the delivery boy ate a part of it."  We both laughed. She worked in the F&B business for almost two (2) decades so she is very meticulous when it comes to her field of work. I replied, "Maybe because of pandemic, they reduced the serving."

But what if she's right? What if that food delivery rider, out of hunger, really ate a part of his food and sipped from drinks supposedly for a customer? Who knows?  

I passionately moved myself to different characters in my imagination. I remember what our mentor in movie script writing class said, "Always remember empathy. When you write a movie script, know how others in the story scene will feel as a reaction to the dialogue or action of one character." 

What would I do to respond to the situation?

➤  The Delivery Rider

If I were the delivery rider, I would:

  1. Apologize profusely: I would apologize sincerely, and acknowledge my wrongdoing.
  2. Contact the customer: I would contact the customer whose order I tampered with, apologize personally, and offer to replace the order or compensate them.
  3. Improve work attitude: I would reflect on my actions, understand the gravity of the breach of trust, and make a commitment to never repeat such behavior.

 ➤  The Delivery Rider Employer

If I were employer of the delivery rider, I would:

  1. Investigate thoroughly: Launch an internal investigation to verify the authenticity of the video and identify the rider involved.
  2. Effect temporary suspension to the erring employee: Suspend the rider pending the investigation to prevent further incidents.
  3. Compensate the customer: Contact the affected customer, apologize, and offer compensation for the incident.
  4. Reinforce policies: Reiterate company policies on food handling and customer service to all delivery riders.
  5. Issue a public statement / response:  Issue a public statement addressing the incident, reassuring customers of our commitment to their satisfaction and food safety.
➤  F&B Business that Offers Home Delivery Services

If I were an F&B business offering home delivery services through a third party, I would:
  1. Reevaluate contracts: Review contracts and agreements with delivery partners to include clauses regarding food handling, hygiene, and customer satisfaction.
  2. Train and monitor delivery boys: Provide additional training on food safety and hygiene to delivery partners and establish mechanisms for monitoring their behavior.
  3. Be strict on quality control: Implement quality control measures to ensure that food is delivered in the best possible condition.
  4. Seal the containers: Seal the containers with business logo labels / stickers.
  5. Issue a public statement or response: Issue a public statement expressing regret for the incident, outlining the measures taken to prevent such occurrences in the future, and reaffirming the commitment to customer satisfaction and safety.

➤  The Video Recorder

If I were the person who recorded the video, I would:

  1. Cooperate with authorities: Be willing to provide the original video as evidence to authorities, if requested.
  2. Avoid sharing identifying information: Ensure that any sharing of the video respects privacy and avoids sharing identifying information of the individuals involved.

➤  The Netizen who Viewed the Viral Video

As a concerned netizen who viewed the video, I would:

  1. Share responsibly: Refrain from spreading the video further if it contains sensitive or identifying information.
  2. Express concerns: Comment on the video expressing concerns and encourage responsible actions by the employer and authorities.

➤  The Government Authority

If I were a government authority responsible for regulating food delivery services, I would:

  1. Investigate thoroughly:  Initiate an official investigation into the incident to ensure that food safety and hygiene regulations have not been violated.
  2. Enforce penalties: If violations are found, enforce appropriate penalties or fines on the delivery company and the rider if necessary.
  3. Do regular inspections: Increase inspections of food delivery services to ensure compliance with food safety regulations.
I am 100% confident that if this is in Dubai, the government responds immediately and appropriately, as the leaders and authorities want to keep all consumers protected at all times.

Oh, I forgot to include ➤ The Customer who placed the order.  Of course, his natural reaction would be to feel bad and get angry, except for one or few who would just shrug their shoulders. 

I saw this --
I hate it when someone else takes the piece of food I mentally claimed... 
The logistics part in food and beverage delivery is a crucial part of the business. It is vital in the F&B  network that must get better, and evolve -- not the opposite.

---

Image credits:  Pixabay | Elf_Moondance

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol