Skip to main content

When a Woman Does Not Receive a Timely and Fair Compensation for Services Rendered


I hate to hear this -- "Female is considered as a weaker sex."

Imagine this. In some cases, there is a same job done by a man and woman separately, payment priority is for the man before the woman, because she is considered to have a soft heart. Or perhaps, if they do both get service fees, the amount for man is bigger than for a woman.

When a woman receives money, her priority will always be her family. If she is a mother, she wants to ensure that there is a food on the table for her children. If the foods are not enough for all, she will sometimes lie and tell her children that she already ate somewhere outside, so everyone has his / her share and will not be hungry.

My friend, although she is still unmarried in her 40's, serves as the breadwinner for her sister who is a widow and her young girl. She also supports her brother who was left by the wife when he suffered from chronic illnesses. Her employer did not pay her for some months. Since they already established a good friendship, she did not quit and trusted him. Long story short, eventually she filed a case against him but since she signed a paper proving that she had no claims anymore, just for the visa to be swiftly cancelled so she can move to another employer, nothing happened. 

It is very difficult to have no money in the pocket more so when you are in a foreign land. You have to survive and fight like hell every single day if you do not have a good support system, no family nor close friends to help you when you are in the mud. Anxiety attacks will hit you, and it is not good for the mental health.

There are many vulnerable women who fall into trap of some bad guys. As they say, sometimes you have to do desperate actions in a desperate situation.

I want to understand why this happens. I also experience it sometimes that after working very hard and doing all the best I can day and night, there is a delay in paying for my services, or sometimes, just because of relationship or debt of gratitude, services are free. 

Why do some people prioritize spending on material things over paying for services rendered by their co-human beings, particularly, female ones?

Perceived value -- They  perceive that tangible goods provide more immediate or lasting value, compared to human services. They believe that buying something physical gives them a tangible asset, while services, although helpful to them, are seen as intangible or temporary, or can wait.

Emotional attachments
-- Some people think that material items hold emotional significance. Buying things like gadgets, clothes or luxury items provide a sense of status, comfort and joy, which can be emotionally rewarding for them.

Immediate gratification -- Their value system is different. For them material things offer instant gratification, whereas paying for services might not provide the same immediate satisfaction. They prefer instant pleasure of owning something they desire, over investing in a service with longer-term benefits and positive chain reactions to humanity.

Perceived necessity -- Some individuals view material items as necessities, while they see services as optional or less essential.  They might prioritize purchasing items they consider necessary for their daily lives.

Lack of awareness -- Some individuals do not fully understand the value and importance of certain services, leading them to undervalue or overlook them when it comes to payment.

Cultural and social influence -- Cultural norms and societal pressures can also influence spending behaviors. In some cultures, owning certain material possessions may be seen as a status symbol or a measure of success. 

The list may go longer than this. The bottom line is -- everyone's financial decisions are influenced by a unique combination of personal preferences, beliefs and circumstances.

It depends on the individual values and goals. Women must not be discriminated. It is crucial to recognize the importance of fair and timely compensation for services already rendered. It matters to prioritize paying for their services as it gives such a fulfilling experience to both the giver and receiver.

I passionately move to be productive and be of use, earn a living, live a dignified life. I hope that everywhere there is an equitable society that values and compensates women for their valuable contributions.

I pray that they will understand deeply how to deal with every single woman when she renders her services. The disparity a woman faces when it comes to receiving timely and fair payment for her services, has an impact on her life.

As Shannon L. Alder said, 
One of the most important things you can do on this earth is to let people know they are not alone.”


---

Image credits: Pixabay | Mohamed_hassan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol