Skip to main content

The Rise of Instagram Reels

Most of the netizens are crazy about Instagram Reels. 

My friend who invited me for a dinner treat on his birthday, was always head down to his gadget, answering birthday greetings, and trying to get engaged with his online viewers. He said he got very popular because of IG Reels. In my mind, I just hoped he had just at least some few minutes to talk to me as a real friend, in real place, at real time, there, then. After eating and few minutes of browsing on internet (too) for news updates, I told him I wanted to go home, but he said he was still doing something and to please wait. Well, fine. That was his request as a birthday celebrant. I got peanuts and iced tea. At least peanuts are good for my brains.

I love to watch Reels, too, but only interesting ones. I skip most of them. 

Instagram Reels is a feature on the social media platform Instagram that allows users to create short-form videos set to music, similar to TikTok. It was conceptualized as a response to the growing popularity of short-form video content and the success of platforms like TikTok. (I am not a Tiktok content creator.)

Instagram saw an opportunity to attract more users and keep them engaged by offering a similar video creation tool within their own app.

I created Reels, too, as there is an option on Facebook Story to create a Reels video. But honestly I do not want to be stressed with such a big, big desire of hitting the number of target views, or likes, or viewers' engagement, that I forget to live a normal life.  I can see lot of content creators who are stressed creating and uploading video clips, just for the sake of uploading them, and eventually the dream monetization. 

The platform's popularity and reach make it a valuable tool for content creators looking to grow their online presence and explore other avenues for earning income.

They can monetize from Reels through --

  • Influencer marketing: Creators with a significant following on Instagram may collaborate with brands and get paid for promoting products or services in their Reels.

  • Brand partnerships: Reels creators may partner with companies or brands for sponsored content, where they receive compensation for featuring the brand in their videos.

  • Driving traffic: Creators can use Reels to drive traffic to their other online platforms, such as YouTube, where they can monetize through ad revenue.

  • Building a personal brand: Successful Reels creators can build a strong personal brand, which can lead to opportunities like public speaking engagements or consulting gigs.

I want always to look at things at two (2) sides, the pros and cons, both for content creators and viewers, particularly the young ones.

---------

CONTENT CREATORS

Pros for Content Creators:

Wide Reach: Instagram Reels have the potential to reach a large and diverse audience, increasing the visibility of content creators.

Creativity and expressiveness: Reels allow content creators to showcase their creativity through short, engaging videos, encouraging experimentation with various content formats.

Viral potential: Well-crafted Reels have the chance to go viral, gaining substantial exposure and attracting new followers.

Community interaction: Reels facilitate direct interaction with followers through comments, likes, and shares, fostering a sense of community.

Opportunities for Monetization: Popular creators may be eligible for Instagram's monetization features, such as the Instagram Partner Program.

Cons for Content Creators:

Algorithm challenges: As with any social media platform, gaining visibility can be challenging due to the complex algorithm determining content exposure.

Short attention span: Reels' short format may limit in-depth storytelling or conveying complex messages.

High competition: The vast number of content creators on Instagram makes standing out and gaining a substantial following a competitive endeavor.

Copyright issues: Creators need to be cautious about using copyrighted material in their Reels to avoid potential violations.

--------

Pros for Viewers:

Entertainment and inspiration: Instagram Reels offer a wide range of entertaining and inspiring contents, providing viewers with bite-sized doses of amusement.

Discovering new creators: Viewers can discover and follow new content creators whose work resonates with them.

Short and engaging: Reels' short duration allows viewers to quickly consume various content without investing much time.

Cons for Viewers:

Addictive nature: The ease of scrolling through Reels can lead to excessive screen time and potential addiction.

Lack of meaningful content: Some Reels may lack substance, containing non-sense or potentially misleading information.

Influence on youth: Excessive exposure to content without educational or informative value may influence young viewers' perspectives on career and education.

--------

As far as I can recall, there is no such thing as "You're all caught up for now!" (unlike FB's) when I scroll down and view Reels. For most viewers particularly the young ones, the excessive time spent on non-meaningful reels and its potential negative effects on productivity and mental well-being, is alarming.

Another thing -- I see some content creators displaying big amount of cash monetized from Reels, but their contents are not that really good. In the minds of the young ones who can see them, maybe they think that if the goal after studies is to make money for a living, why finish studies when those content creators who are very young or not young but not that educated, can have a fortune like that?

I am already on the road to 60's but when free sometimes I cannot also help viewing Reels with meaningful contents and good entertainment, yet, they are really time-consuming. (Time could have been spent in other productive activities.)

For humanity's sake, I suggest some moving approaches to monetize IG Reels that will lead to creation of more substantial, truthful and impactful contents:

Verified content badge: Introduce a verified content badge for creators providing accurate and reliable information to promote responsible content creation.

Educational grants: Establish educational grants or incentives for creators producing informative content on various topics, encouraging the creation of meaningful Reels.

Community recognition: Implement a feature that highlights creators who use Reels to spread awareness about social issues and promote positive change.

Screen time awareness: Introduce periodic reminders to help users manage screen time and maintain a healthy balance between entertainment and learning.

Diverse monetization options: Provide various ways for creators to monetize their meaningful Reels, such as sponsored partnerships with responsible brands and access to exclusive contents for subscribers.

----------

It's essential for Reels creators to focus on creating engaging and authentic content to grow their following and attract potential brand partnerships or opportunities for monetization.

By implementing the above measures, Instagram can promote a positive and educational environment, where content creators are incentivized to produce meaningful Reels that contribute positively to society and inspire viewers.

Perhaps in the future I can create Reels video clips, too, and passionately magnify contents that matter.

We are all creatives, all wanting to amplify what we call life, but I hope in a better positive way.

As Elizabeth Gilbert said,

A creative life is an amplified life. It’s a bigger life, a happier life, an expanded life, and a hell of a lot more interesting life.

As the rise of Instagram Reels reshapes the digital landscape, we must navigate its allure and impact with responsibility and purpose. By striking a balance between creativity and impact, Instagram can foster a more enriching experience for both content creators and viewers. We can embrace the ascent of Reels passionately, magnifying content that adds value and significance to the world.

---


Image credits: Pixabay / Viralyft

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol