Skip to main content

Finding Focus: Strategies for Tackling Overwhelming Choices

 


There comes a time when I feel very overwhelmed by the abundance of things to do. Instead of considering them as a heavy load to bear, I try to look at them as heavenly gifts that somehow I think I can do most of them, given the time, talents and experiences I have. I consider them in a positive way --  as opportunities to be productive, to convert time to something valuable.

They go to my head at the same time, and I must admit it leads me to foggy moments. Which is which? Which must be prioritized? I am always emotional and I just want to do things that make me happy, but being happy is not enough. I was also raised by my parents whose thinking was 'money' must not be the prime mover why you must do a thing. 

I have realized that as days went by, my paradigm slowly has shifted to something else, particularly when I experienced how to really have nothing, as in literally nothing, except myself and what priceless things I got, to survive alone. 

I started to have an inventory of myself. Yes, myself, me and I, my time which is also the same as others', my talents and whatever is there in me. I can write, do arts (real and virtual), do traditional and digital marketing, engage in HR-related activities, organize events, do real estate business, do consulting and personal coaching, etc.

When faced with numerous possibilities, it is essential to prioritize and weigh them to add value to your life and happiness.

Life and happiness is a choice, and a common experience. As Graham Brown said, 
Life is about choices. Some we regret, some we're proud of. Some will haunt us forever. The message: we are what we chose to be.
What must be done when  you navigate through overwhelming situations to arrive at informed decisions? 

Here are some steps to take --

  1. Self-reflection: Take a moment to reflect on your passions, values, and long-term goals. Understanding what truly matters to you will provide a clear direction for your choices.

  2. Set clear goals: Define specific and achievable short-term and long-term goals. Knowing what you want to achieve will make it easier to prioritize activities that align with your objectives.

  3. Make a to-do list: Write down all the things you want to do or accomplish. Seeing them on paper will help you visualize the tasks and gain a sense of control.

  4. Evaluate importance and impact: Assess the significance and potential impact of each task or activity. Focus on those that align with your goals and bring value to your life.

  5. Consider time and resources: Be realistic about the time and resources available. Avoid overcommitting yourself and prioritize tasks that fit within your capacity.

  6. Identify urgency: Distinguish between urgent and non-urgent tasks. Address time-sensitive matters first, but don't neglect the importance of long-term projects.

  7. Practice time management: Divide your day into blocks and allocate time for different activities. Create a schedule that balances productivity and self-care.

  8. Learn to say NO: Be selective in taking on new commitments. Politely decline tasks that don't align with your priorities to avoid spreading yourself too thin.

  9. Seek support and advice: Reach out to friends, family, or mentors for guidance. Sometimes an outside perspective can provide valuable insights.

  10. Break tasks into smaller steps: If a task feels overwhelming, break it down into smaller, manageable steps. This approach will make it less daunting to tackle.

  11. Focus on quality, not quantity: It's better to excel in a few areas than to spread yourself too thin across many. Concentrate on doing a few things exceptionally well.

  12. Practice mindfulness: Stay present and focus on one task at a time. Mindfulness can help reduce stress and improve overall productivity.

  13. Embrace flexibility: Be open to adjusting your priorities as circumstances change. Life is dynamic, and being adaptable is crucial.

  14. Celebrate achievements: Acknowledge your progress and celebrate your accomplishments, no matter how small. Positive reinforcement boosts motivation.

  15. Take breaks and rest: Don't forget to take breaks and rest. Recharge your energy and creativity to approach tasks with renewed enthusiasm.

  16. Learn from experience: Reflect on past experiences and outcomes to make better decisions in the future. Learn from both successes and challenges.

  17. Keep a journal: Writing down your thoughts and feelings can provide clarity and help you organize your priorities effectively.
Life is a journey of growth and discovery, and finding balance amidst overwhelming situations takes time and practice.

 It is important to reassess and adjust priorities as needed.

A note to myself:  Trust yourself and focus on what brings you joy, fulfillment, and a sense of purpose.

I will passionately magnify my purpose and align my goals, activities and tasks to that.

---

Image credits:  Canva

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol