Skip to main content

Conquer Your Fears with Courage (Supporting a Friend's Big C Journey)


My high school classmate and friend, a doctor in our place, invited me to join his newly organized FB Chat Group. He was our batch president and I was the class president. I wondered why it was named after my close friend and godmother of my middle child. Of course I could not say NO. 

I felt devastated when I learned that my friend, a dentist, the reason why that chat group was created, would undergo mastectomy soon, and they were raising funds.I had some chats with my friend, Fatima (not her true name), and she did not tell me that. Maybe she did not want me to worry as she knew some of my health issues, too.

One former  classmate, Eva (not her true name),  who was very active in coordinating with alumni, updated us that in just few weeks, Fatima underwent three (3) surgeries: cervical surgery, colectomy and appendectomy, and yes, soon mastectomy.  She knew it well as they were both in the same born-again Christian group, set up by her husband, a pastor, my former college batchmate and an active student leader, too, back then.

She used to be our class and school muse, and always stood out among the rest of the muses. Even in her professional association, she always graced the events as the queen. I can hardly imagine that she would be undergoing mastectomy, where one of her breasts would be removed. According to the daughter-in-law, as echoed to us by my classmate, there was a big lump removed from the breast.

I could not help crying. I could feel her pains. She did not tell me. When we met here during the time that she participated in an international convention related to her medical profession, we hugged and cried before we exchanged pleasantries and had some memorable catching up. We shared our stories of struggles and triumphs by faith.

In few days, my classmates somehow raised funds to support her. My family had some financial challenges recently due to hospitalization, too, so I came up with the idea of designing a T-shirt, and collaborating with a friend who owns a creative design company, with T-shirt printing services. The proceeds from the sales (100 pcs - limited edition) will somehow be of help to her.

I was thinking of "Conquer with Courage" but when I checked online, it was already Mountain Dew's campaign line. So I changed it to "Conquer Your Fears with Courage". 

Who will not have fears when you face this kind of challenge? It is OK to have fears initially. But every single fear must be dealt with with courage. 

I designed images with some biblical verses on healing. We always see related posts and they look ordinary to us, particularly if we are being flooded with same messages from time to time. But for those who resonate with the essence of the message, every post or DM (direct message) matters a lot.

The cost of chemotherapy in Batangas City, Philippines, can vary depending on several factors, including the type of cancer, the stage of the disease, the specific chemotherapy drugs used, the duration of treatment, and the healthcare facility or hospital chosen. Generally, chemotherapy is a critical component of cancer treatment, and its cost can be a significant concern for patients and their families.

I am not in the medical field so I do not know how many rounds of chemotherapy she would have. I know it would be costly and can still be a financial burden.

According to MedicalPinas online, the cost of chemotherapy in the Philippines may range from PhP10K to PhP120K, which depends on the number of sessions. 

More than a decade ago, my auntie (my mother's elder sister) had 3 chemotherapies in a week, and she lived for another 10 years. She was blessed to have the financial support of her youngest son who worked in the Middle East.

The expense of chemotherapy includes several components, such as:

  1. Chemotherapy drugs: The cost of chemotherapy drugs can vary widely based on their effectiveness and brand. Some drugs may be more expensive than others, contributing to the overall cost of treatment.
  2. Hospital or clinic fees: Chemotherapy is typically administered in hospitals or specialized cancer treatment centers. The fees for medical consultations, laboratory tests, and other medical services may be included in the overall cost.
  3. Medical equipment and facilities: The use of medical equipment and facilities during chemotherapy sessions may add to the total cost.
  4. Medical professionals' fees: Oncologists, nurses, and other medical professionals involved in the treatment process will have their respective fees.
  5. Supportive care: Additional medications or treatments required to manage side effects and support the patient's overall well-being may also contribute to the cost.

I had a chat with her a few minutes ago, and she asked for my prayers as she would be admitted to the hospital this afternoon for tomorrow's first round of chemotherapy.

It is a challenging journey. It costs a fortune to have a fighting chance against cancer. 

I will passionately make some moves to be of help to her, in my own little way. She is a very strong woman who believes in the Creator's promise. 

God, have mercy and help my dear beautiful friend and sister conquer all her fears with courage. 

---

Image credits: Free via smartmockups.com platform

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol