Skip to main content

Good Friday: The Celebration of the Most Momentous Event

 


In the history of the Christian world, the Good Friday is the celebration of the most momentous event.

It commemorates the crucifixion of Jesus and His death at the Calvary. This basically reminds us of my favorite Bible verse, according to John 3:16 NIV --

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

When I was young, I remember that in our community, some families would host the reading of the Passion of Christ. People used to gather together to read the contents by singing, 24 hours a day, by shift. The host would prepare foods and snacks for all. Always there would be such a delicious hot ginger tea to soothe the throat. We did not eat meat, only fish and vegetables. Those who had no medical issue, would fast, as a way of expressing feeling the grief.

Then we used to go to the church full of devotees. Images and statues were covered with lavender fabric.  There was a deafening silence. At 3PM, the priest would lead solemn celebration to honor the way Jesus Christ underwent to save the world. Sometimes there were sound effects of the thunder. As my memory could recollect, in those days, the clouds were heavy and there was sadness in the air.

At that tender age, I knew better the definition of "empathy" -- the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.  

I could feel His tremendous suffering when the agonizing crucifixion was recounted. The relevance as I grew up, it would make me realize that my real life's pains were nothing compared to the pains of Jesus, who died for the expiation of our sins. It would allow me to open myself to embrace the experience of sharing His cross, whatever the weight was.

Today as the traumas of different kinds of tormenting pains I alone silently suffered, kept flashing along my memory lane, I am asking myself: 

Ain't these enough? How much more can I afford to carry, given the fact that I am getting old?

Life can be dark and bleak for a day, or days, months, or years. But commemorating the suffering and death of Jesus, I am reminded that I will be victorious. My journey will be glorious. I am claiming it, in the name of my Messiah. 

This day is considered to be a decisive moment, a pivotal point, in a Christian life.

There is 100% willingness in the suffering. Otherwise the mind will be more tormented until you lose your sanity. There is an acceptance to experience it, and deal with it, alone, and finding the required tools to get up and rise again.

There is a deep awareness of the ultimate sacrifice to be victorious -- hit the goal or solve a problem --  at whatever cost.

We cannot have a full understanding of it all unless we directly experience ourselves how to be in the dark, how to be in chaos, how to feel betrayed, how to feel misunderstood, how to feel abandoned,  how to feel rejected, how to feel isolated, how to suffer from injustices and misjudgement, how to feel tortured, how to feel enslaved, how to feel hopeless. 

Today is Black Friday. Sorrowful Friday. But it is holy, too. Holy Friday. And good, Good Friday. And great, Great Friday.

Things may be too bloody bad, awfully terrible, whatever the term is, for many of us.

But today there is a good news of deliverance. The gospel of His grace gives us hope of relief and salvation.

Looking at the crucifixion, there is an intersection point, a convergence point.  Horizontal and vertical. Wrath and mercy. Sin and forgiveness. Restlessness and peace. Darkness and light. Pain and gain. Sacrifice and reward. Bondage and freedom. Sorrow and joy. Death and life.

Alone here, not feeling that very well, in a very challenging situation, I passionately make myself at peace with my inner soul and my Creator, "fixing our (my) eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before Him He endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." [ Hebrews 12 : 2 NIV ]

I will endure all. The joy is set before me.

---

Image credits:  Pixabay / Geralt 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol