Skip to main content

100 Days to Go -- World Expo 2020 Dubai (UAE)

 


According to Khaleej Times, one of leading UAE newspaper, "Just 100 days of Expo 2020 Dubai left: 10 things you must check out".

I have not gone to the Expo 2020 Dubai yet but my daughter and her boyfriend from another country in the Gulf Region, together with their friends from Abu Dhabi and Dubai have already enjoyed visiting there even in few days.

I said I would just spoil their trip if I go along with them due to my calf strain and I did not want to be a burden to these adventurous, fun-loving young people.

This Expo 2020 Dubai's theme is "Connecting Minds, Creating the Future" which is very timely. The leaders of Dubai always think beyond here and now, and desire to capitalize on the power of mind connections in the building the future today.

Many people thought it would not happen this 2021 because of the pandemic challenges, but there as the organizers committed, one year after the scheduled start date, everything opened with a big bang on 1 October 2021 to run until 31 March 2022. I just wish it would extend for another six (6) months in consideration of the current situation and people's limitation to move, particularly now that Omicron is here, and considered to be highly transmissible, another threat to public health.

When hosting of Expo 2020 was awarded to the United Arab Emirates (UAE), I was one of those who were teary-eyed in joy. Why not? I considered this to be my second home. The previous Expo 2015 was held in Milan, Italy, and next after five (5) years is in Japan (2025). 

I just viewed the structure online, via video clips on social media and online newspapers, and I was impressed. There are 192 countries participating in this universal exposition. There is a central plaza called "Al Wasl", around which revolve three (3) thematic districts: OMS >> Opportunity, Mobility and Sustainability. According to Wikipedia, it is designed by American firm HOK, built by Orascom and BESIX in 438-hectare area (1,083 acres) between the emirates of Dubai and Abu Dhabi. There is an emergency centre that houses an isolation room, emergency care section, ambulances and helicopter services.

There is a target of 25M visits. (Read more.) Is this a tall target considering the current challenges? As of 13 December 2021, Gulf News reports that there were over 6.3M visitors already, which is 25% of target figure, in 2 months (33% - 2/6 months). For sure this holiday season, many people will flock there, but they must follow the necessary safety protocols related to COVID-19 pandemic, parallel to World Health Organization (WHO) and local government's directives for safe conduct of events.

The ticket costs
  • Single-entry AED95 
  • Multi-pass AED195 (30 consecutive days from 1st days of use)
  • 6-Month Season AED495
If you want to get a free pass to Expo 2020 Dubai, there are some ways and I will list them down later.

  • Etisalat has some related offers for 1-day and multi-day ticket or season pass when you purchase the products or subscribe to the plans  (Visitor Line Premium pack, Visitor Line Premium Plus pack, eLife, or New Freedom or Emirati Freedom Plans). Read more here
  • Emirates offers one complimentary Expo 2020 day pass for each person flying via its airline to any destination between 1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022. Terms and conditions must be read by the passenger booking for the flight. Read more here.
  • FlyDubai has a free Expo 2020 Dubai one-day ticket for passengers booking flight between 1 January 2020 to 31 March 2022 to travel to Dubai from 1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022. This can be used on any date chosen by the passenger, subject to their terms and conditions. Read more here.
  • Per Esquireme.com, "Anyone that is in the age ranges 6 - 17, as well as 60 and above, will be able to get free tickets of any kind, including season passes. Students will also be able to get in for free."
  • The NationalNews.com says that taxi drivers, construction workers and nannies get free entry to Expo 2020 Dubai. Read more here.
>>

It is once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I hope that everyone in the UAE, residents and tourists, can have a chance to visit it, enjoy what it has to offer and for the business-minded, get some ideas, network and grow their businesses.

That is a smart move bundling a free one-day or multi-day or season pass with some products and services of companies here. It will really help achieve the target visits of 25M.

What about a free pass for those who have completed their second dose of vaccines?

Many of those who overstay here for some reasons beyond their control surely have silent wishes to get there, too. I pray that there will be light for them to correct their status -- to get a tourist visa, find a gainful employment, receive unexpected blessings to start a business, or return to home countries with good memories at the Expo 2020 Dubai. May God ease the way as always the UAE is a land of opportunities and a home for humanity.

If at least 250K overseas Filipinos will visit Expo 2020 Dubai, it will be 1% of the total target visits figure. The Philippines pavilion is located at the Sustainability District, and it will be good if majority of OF's can pay a visit there.

I passionately monitor related news and features. Am more than excited to know more great things  happening.

---

Comments

  1. This knowledge is quite beneficial! Dubai is the epicenter of richness and joy. Have you ever gone to catch some great drone shows? Omniyat, a place that focuses in this, is the finest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol