Skip to main content

COVID-19 :: Integration in a Challenging Situation


The current situation reminds me of 'integration' as I find this image of Geralt very compelling to display.

Integration is the 'way of adding slices to find the whole'.

We cannot go back to the old normal. This is the new normal. Things are very different now. What is lacking is that empty space from the old normal -- that empty space is a blank whole. Another blank whole is the new normal to which we must adapt, whether we like it or not.

Everyone is on equal footing with the others as this coronavirus discriminates no one as to target as long as it can find a living host without the right defense system. We must learn how to co-exist with it, until the right vaccine is discovered and proven to be tested succesfully, to be on the preventive side, which is far better than curative.

Survival with great consideration in the basics -- food security and health, is what matters most these days.

So how are people 'adding slices to find the whole'? In our daily lives, how do we do integration in a very challenging situation? What about integrated self for an integrated world?

We need to passionately meditate on this. What is missing for us to be whole?  Where are those 'slices'?  Can they be found? Are they gone?  If so, can they be replicated or reinvented?

The first consideration is the abode of our spirit, our own self. There are many kinds of attacks and threats around. Physical, emotional, spiritual, cyber, name it -- they are countless, ruthless. It is basically this self in front of your mirror, this restless spirit, who is in search of those 'slices'.

Consider risking your life in a dangerous jungle, and be prepared for the navigation, but be unshakable, and fiery.

The fighting spirit does not die but the body may weaken so it is important to secure foods to get the right nutrients that will sustain the brains, which do the thinking and command all parts of it. These days, we have valued healthy foods and beverages more than ever before.  Every adult family member must strive to contribute to food security of the household. Do all your best to be physically strong by eating and drinking the right foods and beverages, preferably plant-based.

Next is the mindset. If there is something missing or lacking, accept that it is so. When a person dear to us dies, accept that it is what life is all about -- a journey, when a person has to come and to go when called by the Creator to go back home. If you miss a beloved living person who cannot be with you for some months, or years, understand the reason. Never misjudge anyone. Perhaps, if you would only wear augmented reality (AR) eyeglasses, partly you would know what is going on in his/her side.

If you miss enjoying doing/using something in the past which you cannot or simply prefer not to do/use this pandemic period, find that slice of reason to see the real picture and logic behind 'why'.

A  very simple example -- In the past, I used to buy Ariel and Comfort (white) to wash my clothes. I miss the very good smell in my clothes after drying them, but my thinking changed when crisis hit me hard. For many months I have used a cheaper brand of detergent powder/liquid. These are tough days. For me now, it is OK not to have very fragrant clothes as long as they are clean and do not smell bad. In the entrepreneurial part of my brains, something is brewing. I am sure, whatever it is, it will smell good when it comes to fruition. The missing slice -- the old smell? My life can go on without it, and the process of substitution of substitution, and addition to my line of informed and logical choices, makes me feel good.

With the lockdown due to COVID-19, I appreciated my sewing skill (thanks to my beloved mother), which leads to another integration. I cut some of my old pants and leggings. The lower parts I recycled to face masks, pot holder, rice cooker cover and fabric-covered saucers (used jar lids) to prevent table stains, and the upper parts are now nice shorts. I upscaled my old blouses, and they look beautiful.

Jiddu Krishnamurti, wrote on "Commentaries on Living: First Series" --
Life is a total process, the inner as well as the outer; the outer definitely affects the inner, but the inner invariably overcomes the outer. What you are, you bring about outwardly. The outer and the inner cannot be separated and kept in watertight compartments, for they are constantly interacting upon each other; but the inner craving, the hidden pursuits and motives, are always more powerful. Life is not dependent upon political or economic activity; life is not a mere outward show, any more than a tree is the leaf or the branch. Life is a total process whose beauty is to be discovered only in its integration.
Finally, the mindset must lead us to the actualization, of making things real. In a challenging situation, integration requires bringing our inner strengths outside, blending them with other integral part of the universe, utilizing them to the fullest with a raging desire to be greater than challenges particularly this COVID-19 -- wherever we are, in isolation and/or under new normal environment. Then we will find the missing 'slices', one by one, and as the process goes, we discover the beauty of the new whole.

---


Photo credits:  Pixabay / Geralt & Hans

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol