Skip to main content

COVID-19 :: Flexibility in Uncertain Times


We must accept the fact that these are challenging days full of uncertainties. If you are used to programming your life in terms of advanced planning, now is the time to embrace flexibility and adjust your plans according to what is happening, parallel to realistic and practical assessment of the situation..

Cambridge.org defines "flexibility" as the 'ability to change or be changed according to the situation'. This means the 'ability to bend or be bent without breaking'.

I love this -- without breaking. What holds you not to break yourself and lose your sanity? Your mind, your mindset, your calmness, your sanity, your will power -- these all will help to keep you whole.

Throughout my life, I have encountered many brutal storms that find a way to my nerves to break me completely. But I am a child of God, a warrior, with burning faith inside me. I protect my head, my brains, my mind. It is normal to feel mentally weak sometimes, but if you have experienced God's grace bigger than life itself, you will continue to keep going, no matter how worse the situation may be, no matter how you feel alone and isolated.

Sometimes I have this question -- Why a strong person like me experiences some very low moments and others who live ordinary lives -- wake up, work, sleep --  seem to live happy lives?  I want to do something different fuelled by creative ideas, that will benefit not only me. It is this compassion which most of the time left me empty. But I answer my own question -- It is part of my journey.

It happened fast. It is heartbreaking to see many people dying and in pain, many people losing their loved ones to this killer coronavirus. It is heartbreaking to wake up that you are trapped in a lockdown because it is needed, and you are away from your loved ones who need to be protected when you know all your life you want to be their protector.

Mental health is very important, and now the world is open to discussion related to mental health. It must be guarded and protected well. One must find creative ways to express himself/herself when someone or something wants to steal its peace and break its processing center.

It seems that God is telling me as I prefer to be alone in doing my things privately ('planting seeds' time), considering my situation and my limitations --  "Hey, child, now you are not alone in your self-isolation. You weep because you cannot travel far, and now all flights are stopped. In the past, you imagined many people, particularly mothers, working at home, and now it is a rule to stay home, work from home and violators will be fined."
I want to live a purpose-driven life, and I want to inspire other people who experience darkness in their lives, to always hang on, keep their faith, be very flexible and be super strong -- even if the whole world, including their own families, may misunderstand their choices.

To stay afloat in uncertain times, we have to choose among options available, not just imaginary, not out of hand. Every individual has a unique uncertain situation, and a different response to every situation according to how he/she has evolved. So nobody can judge anyone that he/she was/is wrong in his/her choices at the time it was/is selected.

I had a boss whose inconsistent actions I hated. I asked him, "Why are you changing your mind from time to time? There is no consistency."  That was 2007, a year away from recession.  He replied, "In my position, I must be flexible. Things here happen very fast. Today this is the rule, tomorrow or next week, it changes."

True. Other people may not well understand it and they will feel hurt when there are some changes as they think it is unfair, they are aggrieved and deprived of something that must be theirs -- without knowing that there is something more to understand, accept and embrace, so as to keep all breathing.

We hate all ugly things happening -- death, sickness, economic loss, limited mobility, etc. -- but we love the good side of it -- less pollution, healing of Mother Earth, more family time, valuing what matters most -- what is essential and not essential, thinking more and more on how to generate more streams of income to survive and grow in faith.

Flexibility means finding good things in a bad situation so it will not break you. It means considering options available to turn the crisis to opportunities. It may be difficult, but it can be imagined and visualized, and later -- no matter how long it takes as Rome cannot be built in one day -- the universe will unfold how life comes to it.

By now, all we can do is to flex our muscles, passionately move forward, and keep going. Stay safe!

---

Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol