Skip to main content

Stay or Evacuate?


"Always expect the unexpected," so they say.

The beginning of the year 2020 welcomed us with many unpredictables which we haven't witnessed for many years, or maybe, in our entire life.

Recently President Rodrigo Duterte sent a rescue ship to evacuate overseas Filipinos in high-risk areas amidst tension in the Middle East. (Read more here.)

Many disasters happened that claimed lives, injured people, killed and harmed animals, destroyed trees, properties and other non-living things. Whether they are natural or man-made or partly natural and partly man-made, we do not know. All we know is that the world is in pain. When our smallest finger is hurt, the whole body feels it.

I have my own struggles and worries but heavens hear how grateful I am for my life, for the roof over my head, for every single day that I am alive. I am not complaining about the present load of challenges. Who will complain when you watch on your mobile phone or laptop those unfortunate people running for their lives, leaving all that they have painstakingly established for many years, releasing and letting go all, forgetting all except their lives and how to survive?

When Taal Volcano erupted on 12 January 2020, many residents of Batangas Province, Philippines, were told to evacuate and some areas were locked down when the alert level was put on level 4 (of 5). History shows us that in 1754 the eruption period was long, 200+ days.  That time many people were killed, and some areas sank.

Thanks God this time nobody was killed by the eruption. Batangas provincial government led by Gov. Hermilando I. Mandanas said that they have prepared for it. We learned from the strategies of those who managed to handle the calamities that hit them.

As retired Lt Gen Russel Honore said,
Before Katrina, it was a longstanding tradition in our country for political officials to wait until the last minute to warn, to take action, to evacuate. No more. With Irene, you had mass evacuations -- mandatory ones -- issued days ahead of time. That was the right thing to do.
Yes, no one was directly killed by the eruption, but I cried each time I saw the heart-breaking videos. Families got separated as they were brought to different evacuation centers, mostly covered courts of schools and cities. They fell in long lines to get their share of relief goods. The children were in trauma and they missed their schools. Horses, dogs, and other animals got injured, many died, and some were rescued.

What touched my heart was when the horses' masters risked their lives to rescue them and felt devastated when they learned that some died already. See those young men who cared to return and save them as they said "they served us". (But look at many people who forget their family members in distress, many children or younger siblings of those who sacrificed their lives for them to have a bright future?)

Some people tried to come back to locked down places to get their important documents. One woman interviewed said that some papers required for overseas work were left but the authorities did not allow them to go to their places. Others managed to stay for some time when they were given window hours to visit places not covered by the high-risk radius.

There were many ghost towns after that eruption. The favorite tourist destination turned grey. It was like what I saw in "Resident Evil: The Final Chapter".  My heart was bleeding dry. It is my beloved province. My nights were long at that time that the alert level was 4, calling and chatting with my mother and children from time to time. I just got somehow at peace when the alert level was announced to be at level 3. Many evacuees returned to their home places.

I do not remember how many times I cried when I saw video clips of thousands of Filipinos in and out of the Philippines gathering themselves to help the evacuees in whatever way they could. My daughter sent a photo showing herself in her car with some boxes of items for donation. I felt very proud of her! There were two (2) young people who died while on their way to bring relief goods. They are all heroes and I pray for God to bless their souls.

From then until now, the volcano has been monitored closely because it is unpredictable and when it erupted in the past, it was very violent.

In Australia, many people also evacuated due to wildfire which started in July 2019 and is considered to be the worst one the world has seen. Some people including firefighters lost their lives. Many animals got injured and died.

In Wuhan, China, countless people were trapped as the area was locked due to the 2019 novel coronavirus. They wanted to go out but they were not allowed. Those who managed to go out but were found out by authorities to be potential hosts/carriers due to screening procedures were instructed to be quarantined.

The Business Insider writes that "scientists say at least 500,000 people may become infected with the coronavirus in Wuhan before it peaks in the coming weeks."

As I sit down and ponder on what is happening across the globe, I am thinking --
What if something unexpected happens and I am asked to stay or evacuate, what will I do? Am I prepared for the next thing, whatever it is? What about many others who are also away from their families? 
The message is clear. Nothing else matters but life itself, worse comes to worst.

Stay or evacuate? We run for life away from the place where it is threatened. We run for life with the freedom to move. We run as fast as we can. There are those who are asked to stay, to be quarantined, but they feel like in prison.  When worse gets worst, we forget all things, all those that we traded for our time and talents for many years. After the nightmarish ordeal, what else remains but the will to survive, and hope to start a new life with those whom we love dearly?

"I don't know what will happen to us, because even if the volcano gets calm, and we return home, we have nothing to return to. Our house collapsed, partly eaten by the earth. Our plants and trees were damaged. Our animals were killed. I cannot sleep with peace of mind but I have faith in God," a crying woman tells the world about her story when Taal Volcano furiously erupted.

For most overseas workers who experience life's worst hit, listening to their stories will build up a huge motivation to figure out how to accept things as they are, looking at the past only to squeeze the lessons learned, and to find solutions to problems that challenge their faith in God and themselves.

Their stories can passionately move any person to be as light as his soul -- by releasing anything and everything that makes it heavy to ascend. In a similar way, it is about time not to spend on unnecessary things and be a minimalist. It helps to always have an exit/evacuation plan and prepare the grab-to-go bag.

---

Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol