Skip to main content

Instinct is a Gift


How a person or an animal responds to every situation is called reaction. Instinct has to do with our reactions.

Wiktionary defines 'instinct'  as a 'natural or inherent impulse or behavior' or 'an intuitive reaction not based on rational conscious thought'. It is 'infused, urged or stimulated from within'. It is a gift.

We always hear the phrase 'mother's instinct' or 'woman's instinct'. This is true. In many ways, I felt it.

At an unholy hour of the night a few years ago, I woke up to pee. I did not normally go to the main door of the flat as insiders were instructed to double-lock it. A little voice told me to go and check it and found out that it was wide open. There was no intruder but it was an instinct that pushed me to do the preventive measure.

I handled countless screening procedures for selecting the right applicants for clients. There were many cases when despite all very good qualifications enumerated in the curriculum vitae or resume, I felt I did not like to recommend an applicant to a hiring company, and I would choose one of lesser qualifications, after an actual interview. There was this instinct that guided me to do so.

When I met some people, sometimes I had this feeling that they could be 'somebody else', particularly if I saw the eyes. I strongly disliked them. Inside of me shouted a loud voice for detachment to avoid danger. And yes, the instinct proved to be true, and cannot be ignored.

There are many sheep in wolves' clothing who hide themselves in deception and lies, attractive appearances, and others that will charm then harm the target prey. The only thing one can do to handle this is to pray for discerning power, seek wisdom, and utilize instinct or what the blood whispers.

Have you encountered a person who gave a temporary happy feeling, but the final result of dealing with him/her was the worst that money could not buy/compensate nor heal and could be traumatic? What did your blood say?

Hermann Hesse said,
I have been and still am a seeker, but I have ceased to question stars and books; I have begun to listen to the teaching my blood whispers to me.
How a canine sniffs illegal drugs is not just a result of training, but of basic instinct, for a man can be trained but fails to do what a canine can just by smelling.

If for Hermann Hesse it is what the blood whispers, for David Gemmel ("Fall of Kings") it is what heart tells you.
Trust your instincts, and make judgements on what your heart tells you. The heart will not betray you.
Which is which -- blood or heart? People who fall in love listen to their blood and heart, and many fail that result in broken relationships. Is it because they do not have the instinct to choose the right fit?

How do we discover our instinct, a gift from above, so we can use it positively to influence others and help make our world a better place to live in?

According to MTNUniversal.com, to discover our instinct, we must know our unique sets of talents and follow them.

"Instincts serve different purposes and show up at different points in development depending on the purpose each serves and the species within which it exists." This is lifted from Study.com.

So knowing who you are, what your talents are, what your purpose as a human being is -- all these have to do with instinct. It develops and it goes out of its way to help you choose wisely in life, parallel to that purpose, at the right place and time.

"All the species in the animal kingdom," per Study.com, "have the instinctual behavior." 

It is a set of behavioral reactions to stimuli or environmental triggers, unlearned, from within, not based on reason, and all tied to a purpose or motivation.

Crime investigators and law implementors must have a great instinct to solve certain cases because there are many factors to be considered not seen by eyes, despite witnesses and supporting documents. Any wrong move may result in a wrong judgment and stopping the lives of innocent ones, which may later result in damages to certain government offices when the victims find a way to prove their innocence and reverse the court decision. The movie "Conviction" (a true-to-life story) shows how a mother/woman's instinct, powered by a great love for his brother, saves an innocent man.

Queen Latifah said,
Instinct leads me to another flow.
That flow can lead to something that really matters.

That woman's instinct, even in animals, is tied to the preservation of life and home.

Emily Thorne wrote, "Nature can be cruel. Predators are everywhere. Those who don't need to be protected from outside forces often need to be protected from themselves. In society, women are referred to as 'the fairer sex'. But in the wild, the female species can be far more ferocious than their male counterparts. Defending the nest is both our oldest and strongest instinct. And sometimes, it can also be the most gratifying.”

True, predators are everywhere and they can be cruel. We need to passionately move our instincts to the next level.

---

Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol