Skip to main content

I Miss Beth


I really miss Beth. She calls me "'Nay" which is a short Filipino (Tagalog) word for 'Inay' or 'mother' or "Mommy". She must be in her late 20's or early 30's, truly beautiful inside and out. I never saw her angry. She always had that contagious innocent smile.

Beth and her husband were just a wall away from me in a shared flat a few years ago. She was in sales promoting some foods and beverages. When there were giveaways from her company, she would surprise me with some sample products. I could not forget how sweet Beth prepared the best chai I have ever tasted so far. She shared with me the list of ingredients and the ways to do it.

I also tasted some of their delicious foods cooked with love in their hearts. They shared the works of their hands not because they wanted to be liked but because they liked to share the joy of being blessed with others; not because they wanted something from me in return, but simply because they wanted to show they cared.

Back then, they were simple people who loved a quiet life. They talked with genuine sincerity. The husband did not socialize much as others did, used to stay in their room to take a rest after a tiring day, watched movies online and would come out only to take off for work, cook, eat and do the laundry when Beth was not around. I was honored that they shared some stories about life with me. Not even once did I feel pricked when we had conversations.

They had their electric kettle in their room, and I had, too, and there was no problem at all whenever (any time of the day or night) we wanted to boil water when we starved for a cup of coffee or tea.

The best way to handle 'noises' like that of boiling water -- not anyway whistling and will not take 5 minutes to reach the boiling point -- is to think of worse noises that are beyond control, but necessary, as something to drink is necessary for human survival. One of these is the noises in the building being constructed near your place. You do not want to hear the loud noises but you cannot do anything about it except to insert earplugs into your ears. The only question that comes to your mind at night time is:  "When this will be finished?" and day time you check the signboard if it shows the completion time, with a glance at the actual progress of the project. It is good that there are many fabricated parts so it makes the contractor's works easier and faster.

We shared a common hallway with tape markings covering electric wiring as to our boundaries, but both she and her husband would tell me if I needed more space I could take a part of theirs and would offer their help if I needed to move something. When you are away from your family, this really means a lot!

We parted ways but from time to time we keep in touch, and we never forget to say that we miss each other. Good memories make us smile and they wash away the pains we feel in our hearts.

To remember Beth is to ponder on daisy chains and tolerance. In life, to have peace in its truest sense with yourself and with your neighbors, there must be a compromise between them and yours -- not theirs alone, not yours alone.

Andy Warhol's lines are impactful, as we all need transformation to improve the way we deal with other people. He said,
Human beings are born solitary, but everywhere they are in chains -- daisy chains -- of interactivity. Social actions are makeshift forms, often courageous, sometimes ridiculous, always strange. And in a way, every social action is a negotiation, a compromise between 'his,' 'her' or 'their' wish and yours.
Indeed we are all in daisy chains of interactivity. We are all social beings and a silent compromise must always be there -- that no screaming nor shouting is needed to hear the messages of tolerance loud and clear.

Let no man/woman be mocked nor humiliated just because someone does not want a compromise for selfishness' sake, or someone simply wants to influence all with arrogance and dominance as a cloak.

In a shared residential space, you do not say, "I will wash my clothes on the day and at the time I want, and I don't care at all" if there are others who are supposed to use the washing machine at a certain time. Or you do not take much of the space and time in the kitchen as others have to cook and eat, too, because most of us have the same body clock that sends a signal when we get hungry.

Never did I see Beth and her husband stepping on other's rights to get their way. Respect was always there -- no need to prove that you earn it or not, to be respected, but simply because you are a human being and you deserve respect.

Respect creates ripples of positive actions, both to the giver and the receiver.

Respecting elder people is biblical. Leviticus 19 : 32 NIV --
Stand up in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the LORD.
Whenever I saw Beth's politeness and respect particularly for the elderly, it mirrored how she was raised by her parents, particularly her mother. The sight of her and her actions are beautiful and one will feel good being with her.

The memorable good experiences will always be remembered, and never be forgotten by someone who loves writing. I may die, but this blog will not, so long as Blogger is around for free. (Huge thanks to the team behind it!)

'Beth' means 'house of God'. The meaning, whatever it is, is in her.  'Bethesda', 'house of grace'. 'Beth-shemesh', 'house of the sun'. (Read more here.)

May we all passionately manage well the house of God in us.

---


Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol