Skip to main content

Forgiveness for God's Sake


The forgiveness story of a father of a 12-year Arab boy who died during a quarrel with another student at their school deeply touched me. According to Gulf News as gathered from local media, it was a result of asphyxiation.

The other boy was held by authorities for investigation, but they were requested by the father of the victim to release him, get him reunited with his family and bring him back to school immediately. He told them that the boy was forgiven.

Losing a child can break the parents' hearts. It takes a big faith in God to bear this heavy sorrow and cope up with the untimely loss of a precious offspring.

The boy's father said, "My forgiveness is for God's sake." 

How many of us can tell this when other people wronged, betrayed, insulted, humiliated and in other ways hurt us? Only the strong ones can do.

Mahatma Gandhi, in his "All Men are Brothers: Autobiographical Reflections", said,
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
I experienced betrayal, dressed in sheep's clothes. The pain is unbelievable when it comes from people you trust highly, more so if they are in your close circles -- family, relatives, and friends who were privileged to hear your stories you shared with confidence; whom you fed with your bare hands, and; for whom you sacrificed precious time and things which you could have enjoyed otherwise.

Acceptance is the first key to move on when I feel betrayed. Acceptance that it happened as it was bound to happen, and acceptance that life is like a jungle -- along the way to my destination, there are many predators, but they cannot -- can never, never -- hurt my spirit.

As my brains process what happened, why it happened, and what I am going to do to deal with it, I let go of my forgiveness tears that change in color and form to golden dews, watering a green field. Green is the color of forgiveness. My tears would give life to those plants in the green field in my imagination.

It is easy to say "Forgive and forget". We can forgive people who hurt us, but we cannot easily forget bad experiences, as memories cannot be deleted in a wink of an eye.

There was a woman who always looked at me as her prey. She insulted me, humiliated me, mocked me, embarrassed me, disrespected me and fabricated lies to put me down. I could have filed charges of insult or oral defamation/slander and invasion of privacy for what she did to me. There were opportunities to take revenge that could land her to jail or she would pay huge fines for her other offenses, but NO, I would not put those in my hands. Not just once but few times I saved her silently at the open chances that I could have been vindictive at my worst.

Romans 12 : 19 NIV is very clear.
Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.
I have my own boundaries, and I could not just zip my mouth about my STOP signboard. I am a very transparent person and what I feel shows in my face. I can forgive a person who wrongs me, but let it not be misinterpreted that I will allow the same thing to happen again.

I can forgive as God forgives me for my sins.

To repeat what the boy's father said, "My forgiveness is for God's sake."

What is my human pain compared to the Redeemer's shedding of blood?

I passionately melt all the grudges in my heart and cleanse it with His blood.  Hebrews 19 : 22 NIV --
In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood  there is no forgiveness.

---



Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol