Skip to main content

Consumption Expenditures


The private consumption expenditure per capita (for each person) has risen to AED5,250 compared to AED4,650 during the same period last year. This is according to the leading newspaper Gulf News.

Despite a challenging period, the spending improved which helps the economy to keep afloat, as people's spending helps the providers of durable and non-durable goods and services and their employees.

This is one of the challenges of promoting artificial intelligence (AI) in businesses. The companies save a lot of costs utilizing machines instead of manpower. We read articles on robots replacing human resources like receptionists in the hotels, waitresses in the restaurants, etc. but those robots do not spend for goods and services, unlike human beings who do spend for themselves and their families, thereby helping the economic cycle, and pay taxes while spending (and earning, in other countries), so they help the government defray its expenses.

In the United Arab Emirates (UAE), there are more or less 600,000 overseas Filipinos who love to buy goods here then send to the Philippines those items Balikbayan boxes so cargo businesses flourish. Sometimes I see products made in the Philippines sold here at much lower prices than in the Philippine stores -- and I wonder why, maybe the traders here buy in big volume -- and the OFs buy and send back home.

There are many products on sale so it is very tempting to buy your needs and wants at much, much lower prices when you have the money. Online you can check deals, coupons and vouchers with 50 - 90% discounts.

Some supermarkets branching out here and there, and the owners thank the Filipino community. Filipinos love to eat and highly value family ties, so on days off and special occasions they gather together, cook foods and have fun in their bonding moments.

Other nationalities send more money home and let their families spend most of it there instead of sending items that can be bought here, and save. Many overseas Filipinos do, too, so they are called the new heroes as money remittances combined, help fuel economic growth, but they spend a lot here, too, and most of them do not have savings.

Spending money here is a way of paying back the country for the opportunities and public services including protection and infrastructures. Spending money here attracts investors and traders who help fuel the economy. Spending money here helps prevent or combat a recession.

In a crucial period, it matters to ask these --

Who else is not earning enough money to spend, to provide family needs and to save? There are still many of them for some reasons. What are those reasons? How can they be reached then swiftly and effectively be supported to rise again?

What are the obstacles barring those with entrepreneurial spirits to start or renew their trade licenses so they can create jobs and hire people for them to have sources of revenues?

How can all people of legal age be banked without many, many requirements, so they can enter the financial system, and legally do very safe online transactions (buy and/or sell)?

The common goal to be achieved here is to help create or provide sources of revenues so there will be improved spending as an economic growth engine.

When the roads are rough and times are tough, we have this question -- "How can I spend nor save when I do not have the money?" 

We must always remember that at the heart of difficulties and danger, there is an opportunity.  It is either we find it or we attract it.

Luke 12 : 24 says, "Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds!"

We ask our Father in heaven for the resources we need so we can meet our needs. Philippians 4 : 6 reminds us --
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
If AED5,250 is the average consumption expenditures per capita, how do those who earn less manage to survive, send money home, save and make a wise investment for passive income in the future?

May we passionately meet our consumption needs according to the riches of our God's glory.

---

Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol