Skip to main content

What Do You Want?


Straight to the point we often ask or we are asked this way:  "What do you want?" This is to avoid lengthy pointless conversation and not to keep guessing on what the other person exactly wants from us, or the other way around.

Sometimes when we contemplate on some things we talk to ourselves:  "What do you want?"

A want is a desire for a thing or person, or for something to do or to be done. I want cashew nuts. I want an honest friend. I want to go home. I want this wristwatch to be fixed.

As the world gets older -- and greedier than yesterday -- many people want this and that, without asking what the others who can help them have this and that, want.

A person with a car who does not know how to drive it, wants the services of a driver. The driver needs to eat, to put fuel to the car, to earn money for driving services and to take a rest after his tour of duty.

A business owner wants revenues for his company through his human resources. But they need to eat, to pay transport fees, to pay rent for their flat/accommodation and pay other bills.

If we want services of a human being, remember always his basic needs -- particularly his needs to survive, to eat above all. What he eats sends nutrients to his brains, which releases chemicals to make him happy so he can think better and work effectively.

Employers and contractors who abuse their manpower by non-payment of their services on time, or not all, must not expect good or quality services and loyalty.

A person who does not understand and give what his body wants for healthy living, cannot expect a healthy, long life.

An irresponsible husband who neglects his wife's needs must not expect that he can get what he wants from her. If you want a good relationship, nurture it before your beloved one leaves you.

James Dashner ('The Scorch Trials') said, "I felt her absence, it was like waking up one day with no teeth in your mouth, you would not need to run to the mirror to know they were gone."

There are those who want something to get rewarded and feed the ego, even it poses a danger not only to himself but also to others. And when the bad consequence is there, they will realize that it is not exactly the situation they want. Everybody wants peace of mind. So when we think of what we want, think of a cause-effect thing.  We want this now, and after achieving this, what do we want finally?

Donna Tartt ('The Goldfinch') wrote, "Sometimes we want what we want even if know it's going to kill us."Most men are never content with what and who they have. They want more, they want better, than what they got because this is how brains are designed. There is a craving. There is hunger.

Chuck Palahniuk ('Lullaby') asked --
Are these things really better than the things I already have? Or am I just trained to be dissatisfied with what I have now?
This is true. A while ago I was looking at FB group announcements showing many people's items for sale. Did Marie Kondo influence them? I was wondering when they bought those things, did they really need them or were they just dissatisfied with what they had at the moment they were to buy those items?

If they want passive income in retirement days, they could have spent the money investing in a condominium unit, rather than buying those items which now appear like unwanted clutters.

There are people who want to dwell in the past because it makes them feel good. Good memories keep them happy. Things that were stopped beyond their control brought them hopes for a good future. It is normal. But we must wake up to the reality that we cannot live in the past. We can want it back, but it is pointless.

Margaret Atwood ('The Handmaid's Tale') makes sense --
I want everything back, the way it was. But there is no point to it, this wanting.
Have you paused for a while and think -- "What do I exactly want?" Whatever it is, it reflects our motivator in life and mirrors who we are. How old are you? I think the answer depends also on the age. When you know that you have less time in life, you want the priceless things, the things that really matter.

Richard Paul Evans ('The Gift') said, "I've come to know that what we want in life is the greatest indication of who we really are." True, very true.

I passionately move toward the direction of my dream. I desperately want to achieve something that reflects who I really am, aligned to the purpose of why I was born. May the universe cooperate with me. I will not give up.

Thanks, Gail McHugh ('Collide'). Your lines inspire those who know exactly what they want in life.
When you want something this badly, you don't just give up. You fight and fight until you absolutely can't fight anymore.

---

Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol