Skip to main content

On Premature Conclusion


Watching Netflix's "Oprah Winfrey Presents: When They See Us Now"  made me curious to watch "When They See Us". I can fully relate to every single character in the story. I cannot remember how many times I cried. It is heavy to the heart as it features the true-to-life individual stories of young boys who were incarcerated for many years for the crimes they did not commit. Everything was because of some investigators and judicial persons' premature conclusions which were connected to something deeper than what many eyes can see.

It took Ava DuVernay's creativity, courage and vision to write and direct "When You See Us" Per Wikipedia, it is an "American drama web television miniseries created, co-written, and directed by Ava DuVernay for Netflix, that premiered in four parts on May 31, 2019. It is based on events of the 1989 Central Park jogger case and explores the lives and families of the five male suspects who were prosecuted on charges related to the rape and assault of a woman in Central Park, New York City."

Every story has lessons to teach us, and from their stories, we learn what to do when we encounter the same challenges.

It squeezes my heart every time Korey Wise shouts "Mama", and emotionally says, "I love you, Mama," "You tried to do your best, Mama," and "I miss you, Mama".  He is dragged to the case although not in the list of initial suspects, just because he wants to protect his friend, He does not want his friend's mother to worry about her son so when the investigators come to bring him for interrogation he does not leave him. Of all, he suffers the most as he is separated from the rest who are all put to what they called "juvee". 

It exposes the cruelty of the world -- from the investigators who squeeze the young boys to fabricate some false testimonies, to legal officers and judge who wanted to close the case. In the jail, some inmates are so brutal to Korey that he almost gets killed few times, and the guards do not care, but there is also one who is kind to him as he says he got a son, too.

It shows also how some family members and the society can be very, very rude and unkind to an innocent person. To balance it, there are also those who support them, being of same skin color and faith.

I cannot understand how educated people who took their oath as public servants to protect the country and its citizens, could do that horrible injustice to those boys. They are like thieves who stole their and their families' peace and happiness, their precious time which cannot be brought back, their dreams, their lives. How can they sleep at night?

If the Goddess of Justice were alive, she would tell everyone in the justice system Mahatma Gandhi's lines --
There is a higher court than courts of justice and that is the court of conscience. It supersedes all other courts.
This court of conscience led to the confession of the true criminal. Finally, justice was served to the innocent boys. They sued their city and their state for discrimination and emotional stress and later they were given US$41M in 2014 and US$3.6M in 2016,  respectively.

How they come out alive is a miracle. This makes us realize the importance of parental protection and family support. Who will be there when our own children experience the same? I hear parents saying to the boys, "There are many things going..." which means that there are many problems they face, too, aside from their boys' imprisonment without justice.

How many innocent inmates suffer inside the prisons because of premature conclusion and subjective decision? How many testimonies presented to the courts were fabricated? How many are jailed due to mistaken identities? How many criminals who are actually the threats to society, walk freely outside?

We go to a place where we feel safe. Where do we feel safe?

Frederick Douglass said,
Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe.
When there is justice denied due to a premature conclusion, no person nor property will be safe.

Am happy to read that "the Numbeo crowd-sourced global database revealed that the safest city for 2019 is Abu Dhabi, scoring top marks on the safety index with 89.3 points, and Dubai, sixth, with 83.34 points".  (Read more here.)

I do not know those boys but I pray for them to forget the pain, and if they remember it, may they be passionately motivated to convert the pain to light that will help others to live in hope and faith.

---

Photo credits:  Pixabay

---





---

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol