Skip to main content

"Be an Everyday Hero"


It is National Heroes Day* in the Philippines and President Rodrigo Roa Duterge has a very timely and relevant message to all Filipinos:  to be everyday heroes to people in need. (Read more here.)

True, indeed, that we commemorate our fallen heroes, but it is not enough, he said, that we erect statues to honor them. We must pay forward by doing something to those in need, which can be done not only by financial assistance but in other ways -- say, items, services, listening, moral support, and prayers, among others.

There are many marginalized and poor people -- poor in worldly possession, and/or poor in spirit. Many people lose the spirit of valor or great courage to fight in their daily battles. Not everyone who lives in a good house and dressed in expensive clothes has that spirit of valor -- so the worse we can expect for those who lack the resources and freedom to move. Everybody is busy building or rebuilding their lives, without reaching their hands to those neglected by our society. The worst thing? We need not look at farther view -- the neglected ones are those within the reach of the hands  -- the neglected family members, relatives and/or friends.

President Duterte said,
Honor the brave souls who courageously fought for our freedom and the democratic ideals upon which our nation was founded.
What we see or watch has an impact on our lives. If we only read our history books and watch documentaries on brave heroes who risked their lives to fight enemies who want to take our freedom away from our ancestors, we feel like reliving their lives. Those are told stories, an indirect experience, but all very challenging that truly required great valor. We must honor them.

I love to watch documentaries related to our fallen heroes who fought for the freedom of their countries. We love to watch movies showing heroes who defeated enemies to save those in bondage suffering from the cruelty of villains. 

In our everyday life, we encounter some villains -- and they are ruthless, without compassion, selfish, greedy, and all descriptions that reflect their evil motives towards someone or a group.  When we encounter those villains, we wonder that those scenes are patterned from movies and telenovelas, but they are true, and they are happening.

In my childhood days, I wanted to be a heroine. I was inspired by Darna , a Filipina heroine character in Philippine movie. I did not want to see anyone in my class crying or being aggrieved by other classmates. There was a bully type boy, big at his age, and I fought with him because he was nasty and rude to the girls. I was always the class president. My classmates sought my help when they were in trouble, simple or complicated. 

We are all human beings who need heroes in our lives and we can be heroes, too, to give solutions to problems or respond to the needs of other people. We can be everyday heroes.

For Felix  Adler, 
The hero is the one who kindles a great light in the world, who sets up blazing torches in the dark streets of life for men to see by.
Parents/elders sacrifice a lot for their children. They are brave souls and must be considered as heroes who must be respected. They fought in many life's battlefields which the world knows not, to raise their children.

Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are regarded as new heroes in the Philippines for their contribution to economic growth in terms of remittances. We do not know their stories but each has his own tales of heroism.

Christopher Reeve (RIP), the famous reel Superman, said --
A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.
When you embrace gratitude in your life, you appreciate your ancestors and fallen heroes, albeit you do not know them. You appreciate your elders and your parents, regardless of their flaws, frailties and weaknesses; they are ordinary human beings. You appreciate those who 'found the strength to persevere and endure inspite of overwhelming obstacles' -- for you. They are heroes.

You may not be aware of it, but because of your good words and deeds, someone looks up to you and gets inspired. For him/her, you are a hero.

Regardless of the circumstances, we can be heroes. Joss Whedon said --
The thing about a hero, is even when it doesn't look like there's a light at the end of the tunnel, he's going to keep digging, he's going to keep trying to do right (thing) and make up for what's gone before, just because that's who he is.
That is who you are, a hero. That is who I am, a heroine. 

We passionately make ourselves heroes in our own stories. There are many struggles and adversities in a man's life from womb to tomb. Superman, in reel and real life, will not be Superman without the struggles, strength and compassion. 

J. Michael Straczynski wrote, "For a lot of people, Superman is and has always been America's hero. He stands for what we believe is the best within us: limitless strength tempered by compassion, that can bear adversity and emerge stronger on the other side. He stands for what we all feel we would like to be able to stand for, when standing is hardest."

Pres. Duterte urges all Filipinos to "xxx embody solidarity and sustain our momentum towards positive change not only for ourselves but for the succeeding generations as well.

Our fallen heroes' thoughts revolved around this, so now we enjoy the freedom they fought for with their own blood and lives. 

(Let us pause for a moment and pray for their souls. May they rest in peace. May we have the strength of spirit to defend our freedom for present and future generations.)

---

*National Heroes Day was initially celebrated on November 30, the birth anniversary of Andres Bonifacio, but was moved to the fourth Monday of August to mark the Cry of Balintawak. (Source: Inquirer.net)
---

Photo credits:  Pixabay


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol