Skip to main content

So You Want a Za?


'Za' is a slang word for 'pizza'. When you play scrabble and you get a 'z' tile you always look not only for the TL box which means triple point value of 10, but you also look for the letter 'a'. Many players know 'za'  but they do not know that is is a clipped word for 'pizza'.

My beloved niece who works in a call center of a food and beverages holdings company usually invited me to dine in a pizza house here, where she got something like 20% employee discount for purchases.

She is the type of person who wants to be 100% familiar with what she sells in the real world and via BPO (business processing office), so she can talk from the mind and heart. It is amazing to know that she is familiar with all the ingredients combinations. When there are new products not even fully promoted in the stores but are discussed in their meetings, she would be the first to order to have a taste of them.  Being a baking enthusiast, she knows when the dough is fresh and properly baked. Sometimes when we could not eat all, we brought home the leftovers. You know when the dough is good when after some hours and you reheat the pizza, it still has that crisp.

Some ready-to-heat pizza pies can be bought from the supermarkets but many of them have been displayed there with the shelf life period so we cannot expect fresh ingredients, unlike in pizza parlors as you can taste the freshness particularly in vegetables.

Many busy people are satisfied with pizza pies as their only meal for the day, as everything is there, depending on toppings choice. There are those who eat two (2) slices of thin crust pizza like a sandwich.

I see many families indulging in pizzas, smiling and laughing, not looking at their mobile phones. What a delight to look at them! In a chaotic world, it is a big thing to see people happily united over a plate of pizza pie, warming them up. Many friends host pizza parties at home. The pizzas are delivered directly to their doorsteps after ordering online or via phone. They cut loose after heavy grinds in the day, slowing down in life, enjoying their moments.

 It is a simple pleasure eating pizza together, but it means a lot -- love and attention -- which in the whole universe we all need.

If you are in a Gulf country, there is a Mediterranean flavor in each bite, which can be one's favorite indulgence. Nothing beats it.

Tiger Woods said,
And I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza.
Nick Jonas is a pizza lover, too. His words -- "I love pizza; you can't really go wrong with pizza."  

The pizza business thrives in a place where there are many sharing accommodations as people,  most often than not, are tired to cook and/or the kitchen is small for all to use at the same time. So they forget the deep dish. Pizza is the best quick meal for them.

Henry Rollins has this inspiring line --
Pizza makes me think that anything is possible.
Well, go to a pizzeria, grab a slice of pizza then, and say repeatedly, "Anything is possible. Anything is possible. Anything is possible."

Life is most of the times unfair, so they say.  Is it possible that it can be fair when it is unfair and you find it beyond control? Think of the dough -- it can be tossed by you, by somebody else, or by divine intervention.

If I would have a za right now, I would passionately make everyone around me to have a taste of it.  Nobody would silently crave for it. It is a metaphor.  In an unfair world, it means a fair share for all.

Anything is possible. Barbecue (BBQ) whatever on pizza is possible, and incredibly delicious. Nothing can go wrong with it, yes? Chicken BBQ with some Mediterranean ingredients will always be my choice. What is yours?

---

Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol