Skip to main content

The Domino Effects of Opportunities


Here and there I see jaw-dropping price reductions of many consumer items. Sad to say, I observed that shops displaying signs showing "up to 90% OFF" later closed.  I see some establishments which had been here since I came in December 2005, stopping their operations.

There is hyperconsumerism. We see many, many consumer products in physical stores and online market. The advertisements have call-to-action images and text moving people to buy for consuming purposes, normally appealing to one's emotions so that the items will be a part of personal identity. Almost everywhere advertisements 'dictate' our brains to let the money fly -- spend, spend, spend!

I am wondering if time will come when there will be massive opportunities to earn money everywhere, too, so people will have enough resources to buy what they need and want with smiles in their faces.

Why is it easier to spend than earn money?

There are fewer rules when you spend money. You want this and that, and you have the resources, presto, you will have them!

To earn money, you have to have something in you. To have gainful employment, you must be in the right age, with work experiences and skills fit for the job, right work attitude and sometimes, right connections. You must pass the interviews and tests.

If you are an entrepreneur, to earn money from the business you must have the right capital, place, and guts to start up one and comply with the local business rulings. If you want passive income, you have to earn money to invest in something that will give you ROI (return on investment) so you earn even when sleeping or away for a vacation.

It is like a hide-and-seek game. We always seek opportunities to earn money.

To spend it, it is always like a show, real or virtual.  When will opportunities abound so there will be fast movement of products and services? When will opportunity after opportunity knock on every consumer's door, that he needs not seek it nor build another door?

If the government will strategize on creating many opportunities for the people to earn more money by aggressively pushing ease of putting up a business and relaxing rules on renewal of trade license, coupled with reduction, if not scrapping some related fees, it will make a very big difference. With that, many entrepreneurs will do business legally.

The businessmen/investors can stretch the power of their resources that could be spent to develop then expand their businesses and buy items offered by the local market. The opportunities will certainly have positive domino effects. The benefit goes to the government as it will create a healthy economy, and if it is so and properly utilized, everyone is happy.

People of different nationalities migrate to a certain place as they see opportunities there for their families to live better lives. But sometimes these opportunities are put to test by local, regional, international or digital (worldwide web) challenges.

The rise of artificial intelligence automates many jobs done before by human beings. So if say 20,000 employees in a company were terminated because things go digital, what will do they next to get by if they do not have enough savings or investment, right support system, and strong coping skills?

The challenges are but a part of life, and we must brace ourselves. As Roy T. Bennett said,
When things do not go your way, remember that every challenge -- every adversity -- contains within it the seeds of opportunity and growth.
The seeds of opportunities must have a point of origin. Will they come knocking on our door or will we create another door or will we go out and find them?

We need many gurus like Jack Ma who wants to teach aspiring entrepreneurs how to create 'seeds of opportunity and growth'.  If only successful businessmen would take time to have their personal outreach programs to passionately mentor aspiring, struggling and surviving entrepreneurs, there will be a reduced wastage of resources (time, talents and treasures) due to a permanent closure of businesses.

Is there a Centre or Mall of Opportunities? Possible. Why not? It will have positive domino effects. One (1) right move, one (1) great moment of creation, and all of it will come rising with ripple effects, from the core to the boundary of territory, expanding reach beyond in an unimaginable way -- all thriving.

What are the opportunities that you are looking for? What are the seeds of opportunities that you can create and scatter to benefit many people? Feel free to comment below.

---

Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol