Skip to main content

Zero Rice


I was watching Sambuhay TV mass when the priest emphasized his no-rice suggestion for a better health. This reminded me of an article I read that
A cup of rice is equivalent to two (2) cups of sugar.
A few years back, my brother emailed me that he suffered from diabetes and he already removed rice from his regular meals.  He told me to reduce eating such Filipino staple food. Oh, I did not have that big self-control. My weakness? Fried rice cooked in butter, mixed with scrambled eggs, cubed carrots, lots of garlic, chopped wild chili, spring onions, and chicken.

My high school classmate and friend who has been in the USA for many years, stopped eating rice for more than a decade. She said that she needed to be thin so she could move fast, being a nanny cum driver to children of a rich couple.

Western people do not eat much rice. The first time I saw an American was when my cousin introduced her white-skinned boyfriend when I was in grade three. Her request to my mother was not to include rice in the meals to be prepared, so my mother just fried potatoes, eggs and hotdogs for breakfast. When we went to the beach, I was amazed to see his very good body built despite lack of rice in his diet. I was an innocent girl who used to believe that "the rice makes you strong and your body looks good".

Back then in my good shape years, I used to do regular bending and walking, eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, lean meats, fresh seafoods, eggs, and peanuts.  Rice was always a part of our meal so I could not skip it, but only in a small portion. A friend was inspired by how I took care of my body curves. She told me that she ate only one (1) spoon of rice every meal. Oh me, oh my, I did not do that!? I could not do that! Heaven, huge self-control is a gift!

I had a good figure when I was still single until I gave birth to my three (3) children all by Caesarian section. Stress slows down metabolism so the more stressed I got performing multi-roles in life, the more I gained weight. Added to this, I enjoyed cooking and eating with my children.

Filipinos love to eat. We have fun in bonding moments with loved ones, families, relatives and friends over great foods, and rice is always there on the table.

According to Aglaee Jacob,
Most types of rice are quickly digested from carbohydrates into sugar that can result in high blood sugar levels and increased hunger.
So when you eat rice, imagine eating sugar, twice of rice you eat, and the results?
  1. Sugar level gets high.
  2. You feel unsatisfied and still hungry.
Why? Because rice has a high glycemic index. When you get hungry, you eat more. That is why those who love rice crave for more foods and gain weight. The bad part -- most of them suffer from diabetes.

I remember my cousin who was deaf and mute. When I was a child, I saw how fast her hair loss was. There were some wounds on her skin that did not heal for a long time until she died. How painful that could be, to think that she could not talk nor write to express her suffering. My knees felt very weak each time I heard her crying.

Rice is a calorie-dense food with no fiber. Foods with fiber bulk when they reach your stomach and you feel full.

There are many restaurants that serve unlimited (UNLI) rice. Maybe this is a marketing strategy because plain steamed rice is tasteless, so you crave for more viands, which have a salty and/or spicy taste. (Too much salt is not also good for the body.)

There is a wastage when a customer cannot eat a bowl of rice so it will be good if restaurant managers will allow half-bowl only orders or offer good-for-the health replacement like steamed sweet potato.

We need to beat diabetes and other health problems by passionately managing our tongues when it comes to rice. Think of ten (10) spoons of sugar melting with every cup of it, rapidly spiking blood sugar level. We do not want it to happen, do we?

---

Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol