Skip to main content

What are You Doing for Others?


Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, "Life's most persistent and urgent question is -- 'What are you doing for others?'"

Have we stopped for a while, even for some minutes, to ask ourselves? What are we doing for others? Are we helping others, despite our own storms, or are we hurting them because we are wounded inside? Are we peacemakers uniting people, or are we causing troubles, dividing them?

Our biggest family, humanity, must have evolved as a result of many, many years of studies on human behavior. Recently with the new technology that introduced connectivity and big data, we must have been more humanitarian than ever before. But like a funnel, as we go down and deeper, the narrower it is, the more individualism there is.

I am greatly touched by featured stories in the leading newspapers of the UAE (online version) showing unnamed philanthropists helping those in trouble particularly in the month of Ramadan. For one, the humanitarian care section of a local government body handled AED8.1M humanitarian help to those in financial trouble. Many inmates jailed for money problems were freed to reunite with their families, reintegrate in the normal mainstream of society and start a brand new life. Those people do not know who helped them as the donors or saviors want to remain anonymous for their humanitarian acts.

There are people who lend money to others but they humiliate the debtors beyond measure as if they were their slaves when they cannot pay on time. There are even those who are not the direct money lenders but they embarrass other needy people on the issue of financial difficulties. They want to brutally take away their dignity.

Dr. Tom Neal in his article on "What is Human Dignity?" said, "Human dignity cannot be earned and cannot be taken away. It's an inalienable gift given to us by God, and every other good thing in life depends on the safeguarding of our fundamental dignity."

Respecting human dignity is reflected in the way writers publish their stories here. There was no-name shaming thing when the debt-trapped man who was jailed and then freed, was featured.

On that story, the inspiration from Nelson Mandela's line sparks, "It is man-made and can be overcome and eradicated by the actions of human beings." True, financial challenges can be overcome. The poverty can be eradicated by the actions of human beings.

In the observance of the Year of Tolerance in the UAE, many charitable organizations step up and collaborate with the local authorities and they multiply their humanitarian acts.

Some banks are changing the faces of their collectors. A friend who is a remedial consultancy outfit founder/manager recently told me that she was contacted by a lending institution to be a part of their CSR (Community Social Relations) to reach the debtors in default, in a nice way -- no harassment, no threats, so debtors' human dignity will be safeguarded. This is a positive approach to preserve their mental health so they can be productive to earn money in a decent way, to survive and to pay their debts. When they get sick or die, who will pay their liabilities?

Norman Ernest Borlaug, the father of Green Revolution and credited with saving over one billion people from starvation, said --
The destiny of world civilization depends upon providing a decent standard of living for all mankind.
One employer who will give an opportunity to a jobless man can mean a lot to save one life and make a difference.

One remedial consultant who will compassionately handle a person in financial trouble can mean a lot to save one life and make a difference.

One philanthropist who will help free a man jailed due to debts can mean a lot to save one life and make a difference.

One meal giver who will feed a hungry child can mean a lot to save one life and make a difference.

One act of kindness every single day can make a difference

We can passionately make a difference. We all can do it.

---

Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol