Skip to main content

Ice cream, Ice cream!


Who does not love ice cream? I can't help smiling when I am to eat ice cream.

Mike Manfredi said,
It's fun. When people come in to buy ice cream, they're happy. It's a treat. 
When we organized company-sponsored family events, we always had a little ice cream kiosks. Everybody felt like it was a big treat.

During my childhood days, we had a dress shop in the old public market and I went there on weekends.  It was hot. There was a vendor with a mobile container of the so-called 'dirty ice cream' (homemade), and he used to stand for some hours near the station of jeepneys. Whenever I heard his bells, I jumped in joy. My mother would tell me that if I would sleep on the foldable teheras (a cot or makeshift bed) for some hours she'd give me money to buy ice cream so I would despite all the noises.

The ice cream business has evolved since then. Fast forward, now we see and taste yummy ice cream with different flavors and cones. Some ice cream parlors give you the freedom to choose your flavors, toppings, syrups, and containers, and create your own ice cream. Of course, every persuasive addition means an additional cost as nothing is free, so do not say 'yes' until you have extra money to pay for every single add-on.

To borrow the words of Ginger Rogers, "My love for ice cream emerged at an early age -- and has never left!"  My favorite at Baskin Robbins is banana split with any flavor rich in nuts. For the ice cream bar, I prefer Magnum with the berries.

I love the ice cream cone. It is this strong love for ice cream cone that pulled my front tooth out. The cone given to me was not crispy, supple, and my weak tooth went away with it. Oh dear! My niece brought me there to cool our heads down one midnight after we got pissed off with something. But what a life joke! So be careful if you have any problem with your tooth. God had a warning when the staff told me I could not buy an extra cone but I insisted since in the past I could in the same ice cream parlor.

Taylor Swift said, "I'd rather be at home and eat ice cream than go out and get wasted."

At home, we can make ice cream and cones. We are lucky that these days there are many online videos on how to make them, and there are also many online stores selling ice cream and ice cream cone makers. We only need to be creative, and yes, we must have money to buy the machine/s and ingredients.

Ice cream is a good peace offering for those who have some misunderstandings. I experienced it with my boyfriend-turned-husband in our college days. To show that he cared for me, he always invited me to the popular ice cream house in our place. Jerry Greenfield had a point -- "Ice cream is the perfect buffer because you can do things in a somewhat lighthearted way. Plus, people have an emotional response to ice cream; it's more than just food. So I think when you combine caring and eating wonderful food; it's a very powerful combination." 

If Don Kardong is right, we must promote ice cream everywhere. (Winking my right eye.) He said, "Without ice cream, there would be darkness and chaos." 

Here if you are craving for cheap ice cream with cone, there are some fast food chains and restaurants offering at an affordable price of AED1 or AED2. (Just thinking parallel to above quotation -- Aren't they contributing to light and peace?) Many, many people really fall in line for that. It is a good come-on because when people visit their place, they buy other food items or beverages, too.

For those who want to save their money or those without enough cash to buy the regular meal, very cheap icecream is enough to stop the hunger pain, satisfy the craving, cool down the head and be happy. Afterall, as Jessie Lane Adams put it,"Ice cream is happiness condensed."

One of these hot days, I will passionately make healthy ice cream with my choice flavors, toppings and syrup, enjoy eating it, and celebrate the child in me.

Mmm, this reminds me of Justin Deeley's "I always say whoever can figure out how to make ice cream healthy will be a gazillionaire."

---

Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol