Skip to main content

Do Not Give Up


I read a post on social media about a man who displayed many signboards with the words "DO NOT GIVE UP" in selected visible areas in his place. This is to encourage depressed people to go on with life, and to help minimize the cases of suicide. True, this is easily said than done.

People who want to give up are those with weak emotional intelligence. When they cannot find solutions to their problems or answers to their questions, they see the end of the road. Finished. Qalas (cut).

When you feel like giving up, pray and surrender all things that you cannot handle to God. He sees what upsets you and what your heart desires. You think that the load is as heavy as the earth, but with the Creator, it can be light. Remember that storms come to pass.

In times of darkness, we must maintain a strong mind and body. We must survive, so eat well, sleep well. If there is nothing to eat for some time, just find something to drink, and try to sleep. The goal is to survive. Bear Grylls advised, "Survival can be summed up in three words -- never give up. That's the heart of it really. Just keep trying."

Life is not life without ups and downs. On earth there is gravity, so it is much easier and faster to go down than to go up. This is the reality.  When people go up, others with crab mentality pull them down. This is another reality.

This morning, a distant relative reconnected with me via a social media messenger. She said that I appeared in her dream and she cried. She wrote, "I missed you, ate."  ('Ate' is a Filipino word which means elder sister or female cousin.)  In the past, we had some heart-to-heart chats, and we felt on the same page most of the time. At 45 years old, she is still single, helping her parents survive and ensuring that their healthcare needs are well taken care of.  Everybody in the family thinks that she is like SuperWoman, but there are times that she also wants to desperately give up.

There are intelligent, hardworking and good-hearted people who experience getting into a tight place, despite their good qualities and deeds. Everybody goes against them. Everything is not favorable to them. It happened and still happens to me. Sometimes it seems I cannot hang on a minute longer. But giving up is not in my vocabulary. Some of my family members, relatives and friends face life's challenges and they draw strength from me, so I need to be strong always. I hope and pray that I can keep smiling and stay positive until my last breath.

James Corden advised to 'always do the best you can', no matter what -- "The one thing you've gotta do is that you need to always do the best you can, no matter what the given situation, no matter what comes up against you. You do the best you can do, and never give up. Never quit."

So what is the best that we can do? We gather the remaining strength we have inside. This means our inner resources -- the fighting spirit, the huge courage, the will to live, the determination to defeat all odds and the solid faith in God. Then we act according to a plan that is best for us with a realistic foresight.

I believe in something and it makes me glued here, now, beyond my comfort zone. I do not know when the tide turns on to my favor 'big-time' to make this something happen. But as Steve Scalise strongly worded,
Never give up on something you believe in.
Last night I watched "Zero Dark Thirty", 2012 American fictional thriller film. It was a story about  the heroine against the world.  Maya (played by Jessica Chastain) never gave up on something she believed in. Her persistence and courage attracted the right support system, and she proved the critics/detractors that she was right.

"Zero dark thirty" is a military term for 30 minutes after midnight.  After we see the blackest darkness that is midnight, we see the light to dawn. The line is meaningful for it sends a message of hope that the darkest part of the night is over.

We must passionately move on, soldier on, in life. "You never give up," said Renny Harlin, "no matter how hard the challenges are, and observe the world with a healthy dose of criticism and don't just follow the herd like somebody else might do."

Let us be inspired and inspire others, as per Matthew 19 : 26 --
Jesus looked at them and said -- "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
No matter how bad people and situation are pushing us to our limit, "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." What a promise as written in Galatians 6 : 9!

---
Photo credits:  Pixabay


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol