Skip to main content

The Power of Pen


There is power in pen, and writing talent is a gift.  I am truly blessed that I have a big passion for writing. For me, it is one of the best ways to express myself -- what is in my mind, what my eyes can see, my ears can hear, and what every bit of my sense can respond to.

We have freedom of speech and we can write whatever topic under the sun we want to focus on. Nobody can stop us from doing that, so long as we know the boundaries of it.

I have been a writer since childhood. Writing runs in our family blood. My maternal grandfather's cousin was a linguist and author of some best-selling Filipino-English and English-Filipino dictionaries. My paternal uncle was an awardee of a famous literary award-giving body for his one-act play and more. I was the editor-in-chief of our high school and college publications. I edited a book written by a lawyer (rest in peace, Sir) and publisher of a long-running (half a century plus) local newspaper.

What we write leaves an impact on our readers. They indirectly go to the writer's world when they read his writings. It is an indirect transport to his private place.

Many times great writers play a vital role in changing the course of a nation's history. For one, Dr. Jose Rizal, the national hero of the Philippines, used the mighty power of his pen as a silent way of causing huge transformation of Filipinos, leading to the glorious freedom of the country.

You can kill a writer, but you cannot kill his works, his very legacy, that lives on and on.

Every writer has a story to tell. Every good writer is an observant of what's happening around him, and interested in human beings because the goal in writing is to leave a message that will help the readers get informed or enlightened on some subjects.

Today's writers are blessed with vast information through the internet. In our old days, I used to read many newspapers and books and conducted interviews with many people to write a very good article. This generation is privileged to have easy access to many sources of information as a basis for writing. The challenge is the overflow of fake news/articles and how to validate if they are true. The validation is always necessary so as not to mislead the readers as in a matter of seconds, a published article can go viral.

Written words can make or unmake a man. Black propaganda can destroy an honest and qualified election candidate. A very good write-up about one can help him win his bid for an electoral seat.

Sussex Duchess Meghan Markle in her childhood (11 years old then) wrote a letter to many influential people, including former US First Lady Hillary Clinton, that helped change a sexist TV commercial ad.

Some writers not only transform the lives of the readers, but they also make it in history as the richest among all in their field. According to SuccessStory.com, the top ten (10) authors who got rich in writing are --

1.  JK Rowling US$1B (UK, born 1965)
2.  Jim Davis - US$800M (US, born 1945)
3.  Candy Spelling - US$600M (US, born 1945)
4.  Stephen King - US$400M (US, born 1947)
5.  Danielle Steel - US$375M (US, born 1947)
6,  James Patterson - US$310 (Newburgh, born 1947)
7.  Tom Clancy - US$300M (US, born 1947)
8.  Olivia Harrison - US$275M (Mexico, born 1948)
9.  John Grisham - US$200M (US, born 1955)
10.  Jackie Collins - US$180M (US, born 1937)

Truly "a creative mind is worth priceless."  All great leaders are creative, and they are very good in writing. If you are creative and you have a passion for writing, unleash your talent now. Go to a place where you can have peace of mind and where positivity overflows. If in case you cannot find one, ignore the negativity and noises, and stay focused. It may take some days, weeks, months or years to finish it -- but just do it. Other people will think that you are doing nothing in isolation. They do not deserve your explanation. Just do it. You have the power in your beautiful mind that can be transported to the future readers through your hands, through your pen, and you cannot tell what it may bring not only to you but to others who will read your writings.

I am in the process of writing something, yes, long overdue. No matter what the challenge is, I will passionately make it happen. May the Supreme Creator's force be in me. Help me, God.

---

Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol