Skip to main content

Barter (or Ex-Deal), Anyone?


So they say that money is the root of all evils. Imagine weeding out the root so we would go back to old times of exchanging products via barter system.

I watched a documentary, "How to Live Mortgage Free by Sarah Beeny", which features a couple parking their mobile truck that serves as their home in a warehouse whose owner offers them free space in return for services to look after his farm. They save a lot and are happy about the ex-deal.

Have been thinking about this bartering thing for some days,  as I heard many people talking about hard life, the skyrocketing costs of living and some economic challenges particularly in our country, the Philippines. A friend who arrived from her vacation shared her story that with PhP3K only a few items could be bought, compared here that with AED206.86 you can buy many of your basic needs already.

To tame inflation, Philippine President Rodrigo Roa Duterte wants to revive an ancient form of economic activity -- barter, with Sabah.

It may hurt other industries (say, finance) and there may be some areas that will lead to abuse of the barter system but he ensures that it will be properly regulated.

Actually, the barter system happens around. For example, one company needs sponsors for its promotional event. A coffee shop owner who wants to be one of its exhibitors ex-deals its coffee products in return for an exhibition slot.

A student who wants to learn and get school certification for his desired course without spending a cash for tuition fees pays it in terms of services as a student assistant.

One publisher of a weekly publication for overseas Filipinos once told me that he wanted to buy a condominium unit in the Philippines but it must be an ex-deal for an advertising space in his newspaper.  (Ahaha, that is PhP3M or PhP206K!)

Some creditors who cannot collect his receivables from the debtors require them to render services or take items for same or lesser value to erase the debts.

Sometimes even fines can be 'bartered' like jaywalking fine for a community service, say, cleaning a community street.

We see some online swapping platforms that allow one to exchange products and/or services.

The thing is there is no cash exchange for one to get what he desires with value for something of value, too.

What about this -- "a seed for a song"?  Maybe we can create a forest.


I think Pres. Duterte's passionate move to tame inflation is a wise strategy to make things cheaper and easier for Juan de la Cruz. But for those strongly embracing Digital Economy where the trackable e-cash is the dominant product exchange tool, the barter system may find a narrow place.

My two-cent thoughts: There is no harm in doing the products/services exchange mix if that will help people survive in a decent way and be happy.

What is it that you would like to barter if given the chance, and for what?  I love to read your comments below.

---

Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol