Skip to main content

When It's Greek to You


Sometimes there are things that are Greek to us. We simply cannot understand what is going on, what is happening around us, inside us. It is beyond comprehension.

This term comes from the Latin phrase Graecum est; non legitur -- which means "It is Greek and therefore impossible to read".

I asked my two (2) friends -- which comes first -- chicken or egg?  My female friend replied egg and my male friend said chicken. Somehow I knew the reason behind their answers. I told my friend to ask her officemates the same question. Four (4) of them answered egg, and two (2), chicken. I told her to give boiled eggs to those who answered such. She laughed.

This reminds me of the Netflix movie "A Matter of Faith". There is a debate about "Evolution vs. Creationism". Egg or Chicken thing.

What is it that you cannot understand? Are you sad? Are you depressed? Are you alone? Are you sick? Did you experience rejection? Did your spouse or girlfriend / boyfriend leave you and caused you heartbreak? Are you humiliated by your creditors? Did you leave your comfort zone and still you cannot find a breakthrough to get out of a miserable situation?

Well, it is not easy to understand things as they are, particularly when there are attached pains to them. We process the emotions which affect our brains, and it has domino effects to our body and behavior. When we are alone, it aggravates the situation as we feel we are isolated and abandoned by the world. But being alone gives us a space and silence to take the first step to listen to the inner core of our soul.

Some people use alcohol, drugs and other substances to understand things in another view. When the effect is over, it is back to reality, and worse. They spend money for those unnecessary things. The money could have been spent for the family foods. There are changes in their behavior, which more often than not harm and hurt their very own selves, their families and the people surrounding them.

Proverbs 20:1 says, "Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise." (NIV)

My faith in God is Greek to other people maybe because they know the struggles I have been through -- but they know not the unbelievable miracles brought about by my solid trust in my Creator. When troubles come, when I am restless, when I cannot understand things, I pray with all my heart, and find refuge in Him.

The God I know of is not a robot magician who can do this or that when His believers ask Him in prayers. No. Those who lost faith in the Creator think in a different way and challenge one's faith, "Why your God does not answer all your prayers?"

Understanding is to God as obedience is to man. There is God's will. There is man's will.  "We do our best, and God will do the rest," as the saying goes.

I myself cannot understand what is happening sometimes but I do not question God. I question myself, "What does it mean to me?" My son silently calls me a 'meaning maker'.  I always want to live a meaningful life and insights beautifully shaped with meanings. Without meaning, life is just plain existence.

When we are overwhelmed with negative emotions and we are full of questions, don't let these blind us. We ask people wiser than us -- gurus, mentors, elders in the family, etc. We read books and online articles, fora or discussions, or watch good talks, and / or attend seminars.

Wisdom is light. We pray humbly* to see things with wisdom. Proverbs 4:6-7 says, "Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her and she will watch over you. Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding." (NIV)

I do my best to passionately master my thoughts for me to age with wisdom, and get old with understanding.

---

*"When pride comes,  then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." - Proverbs 11:2

Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol