Skip to main content

That Dignity of Work


What do you do for a living? Do you love your job? Are you proud of doing your tasks for something beyond paycheck?

We hear many people complaining about their jobs -- overloaded with work, unfair bosses, work environment, not enough  salary, etc. If only  they would look at the plight of jobless people, they would be grateful for what they've got.

People who got terminated unexpectedly or resigned from their jobs by impulse, who have no immediate option to do, feel locked in. Common question: "How will I survive? Where will I get the money to pay my bills or provide for my family?"

Every job -- no matter how low we categorize it -- gives a man that something that contributes to his well-being.

Imagine a carpenter receiving AED2,500/month salary. When he arrives at home, an ordinary carpenter will say, "One day is finished and I earned AED96.15 today."  A well-thinking carpenter will say, "One day is over and I helped construct a buiding that will soon rise in this land!"

I am a graduate of Bachelor of Science in Commerce, major in Accountancy, but I had some career detours.  My first job revolved around manpower services -- and I fell in love with it! After six (6) years of employment, I established a local business engaged in manpower services -- more on tempostaffing.  Most of my productive years abroad revolved around HR services.

Each time I recruited and deployed a person to a requesting employer, I visualized a selected candidate's family with foods on their table. I always told hired people, "Squeeze your best self while performing your duties, because that way you will be of value to your family. You will mirror your countrymen, and more people from your country will be hired because of you."  

When I deployed 200+ workers to one of top contracting companies, I felt very happy thinking that 200+ families will be benefited by hiring them, taking responsibility and dignity on their plates, and yes, thinking that I was an indirect part of constructing a building in this country called the converging point for 200+ nationalities.

I cannot forget the story of two (2) grateful people I recommended to an employer. They called me and thanked me for the opportunity I extended to them. That time they said they only wanted to be hired but it was more than that -- their employer liked them and processed their US visas. That rare opportunity made them feel empowered with dignity.

I wish I could help jobless people find the right jobs for them these days.  Today is the 13th day of the three-month amnesty period in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Those who will be benefited by the program through 6-month jobseeker visa will definitely feel the indescribable excitement of going back to the normal mainstream of life, with the generosity of the UAE government. I am sure that after those days in darkness they would do their maximum best to restore everything they lost.

My heart goes to those who have survived many years without the right documents, and therefore, without the normal jobs to progress in life. Thanks be to God that they were not harmed and they have all the chances in the world to rectify their status and protect themselves. Nobody in his right mind will like to live in limbo and fears. Despite their situation they feel safe here so many of them decide to stay and chase their dreams.

I read stories of those who courageously applied for jobs but were finally rejected even if qualified because their visas could not be released due to debt problems (bank loans and / or overstaying fines)  and some cases were lodged against them. Without job, they could not pay their debts. Their families suffered from their misfortunes and lived miserable lives, and relatives / friends from whom money were loaned so they could survive, had to reduce their normal budget for regular expenses. Many relationships got broken, which contributed to their sadness and depression.

My Youtube 'up-next' list showed a video clip on Paco Laranaga, a Filipino-Spanish prisoner in Spain. (He is categorized as 'least dangerous' or 'third degree' prisoner, according to his mother Margarita. May justice be served to all innocent people in all prisons in the world.) One thing that caught my attention was an information that under the Spanish Constitution of 1978, "the prisoners have the right to paid employment". (View that part at 1:48.)

A thought came to my mind after I read some news articles on the ordeals of some local amnesty seekers.

If, in the whole world, 'least dangerous prisoners' and debt-trapped people would have an access to paid employment opportunities, everybody is a winner. They will not be a burden to their families -- and instead they can help provide for their needs. 

According to Martin Luther King, Jr., "No work is insignificant. All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity."  Yes, true, no matter whose hands do any work.

It takes collaborative efforts to bring the unemployed people to job board.

Here we know that the local leaders do their maximum best to provide ease of doing business in the UAE so the job opportunities will multiply. For sure with the results of amnesty program this year, there will be more 'firsts' to help uplift humanity as the authorities will have crystal-clear ideas of what happened, and will take measures to avoid such from happening again in the future.

To reiterate, we read stories of many indebted people who could not be hired  even if they are qualified, and they overstayed as they could not afford to pay the fines. Their visas could not be processed. Inshallah in the very near future they will be considered for gainful employment so this means helping to reduce cases of law violation, no time wastage, increased productivity, more money to buy local and global products and services, and above all, peace and happiness.

Job matching platforms will greatly help so HR practitioners must take full use of digital technology to reach both employers and jobseekers. They can be more innovative in introducing great ways to find the right talents, either on full time or part time basis, for various employers / companies,  these days more than ever.

Schools prepare the students to know themselves better and take courses that will help them utilize their talents to the fullest and that will match the needs of the hiring companies -- or take another path -- entrepreneurship -- which helps turn jobseekers to job generators.

Have you seen this robot waitress serving biryani and kebab in a restaurant in Dubai?  More and more jobs will be taken by artificial intelligence (AI). It will definitely disrupt the employment landscape. It is a must that we monitor related updates so we know how to prepare ourselves and our younger generations.

A jobless man can survive daily by mercy of some friends and relatives (and their number decreases as time goes by). But surviving is not enough. What is missing? That dignity of work is missing. Along with that is that chance to rise as vulnerability has a tremendous gravitational pull.

In a mass during a pastoral visit to the Italian region of Molise on 5 July 2014, Pope Francis said,

"Not giving a job is not simply a question of not having the means to life: no. We can eat everyday, we can go to Caritas, we can go to an association, a club, we can go there and they will give us something to eat. But this is not a problem. The problem is not being able to bring bread to the table at home: this is a serious problem, this takes away our dignity. And the most serious problem is not hunger, even though the problem exists. The most serious problem is that of dignity. For this reason we must work and defend the dignity that work gives us."

Let us passionately meet the challenges of times. If you, your family member or friend are/ is jobless at the moment, let us swiftly do something by figuring things out on how to get back to the right track of responsibility and work dignity.

---
Photo credits:  Pixabay


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol