Skip to main content

People of Determination: What is Your Quest Story?




One of my favorite songs is "The Impossible Dream".  See the lyrics which I memorized when I was in high school as our YDT (Youth Development Training) teacher required us to do.

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go
To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star

This is my quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march into hell
For a heavenly cause.

And I know if I'll only be true 
To this glorious quest
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star.

When I was in college I found more meaning in the lyrics. This song was the favorite of then Senator Ninoy Aquino who was killed in the tarmac of Manila International Airport. The quest was not over when he died.

I have a quest but I don't want to die that my quest is still a quest. Sometimes I am hopeless and tired as the journey is long and arduous. The more I chase for it, the more it hides. But I never stop figuring out which way to go. I have experienced betrayals, isolation, rejections, and humiliation but I just embraced all. At first there was pain, then there was numbness, then there was nothing. And yes when I ignored them, the doers and actions did not have power over me.

Most people look at others based on what money can buy. They are like robots -- programmed. Wake up in the morning, work, eat, do home routines, sleep. Same, day after day.  The important thing is they survive and they can buy what they want.

Sometimes I 'envy' them because they don't get sleepless with raging ideas wanting to find their realities. With my eyes closed or open, I have this aerial view like an eagle scanning everything below -- forest, seas, building roof, clouds, all -- in search of something. That something -- where and how to find? But if you have the aerial view, you see the roads, where they connect, where they lead to. You see if the bridge is broken or if it's a dead end. The question is how to get there at desired destination with all the barriers along the way.

It takes a solid strong determination to conquer the odds and defeat the monster in us in our quest for something.

In the United Arab Emirates, 'people of determination' signs awaken one's spirit.  UAE Vice President and Dubai Ruler His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, launched the term "people of determination", as a part of the national strategy to empower people with disabilities, in April 2017.

"Disability, is in fact, the inability to make the progress and achievements,"  Siobhan Downes wrote in WhatsOn.ae.

In my deeper understanding of it, disabled people are not only those who lost their arms, or feet, or whatever part of their bodies -- but also those who have complete warm bodies but cannot move forward to fully achieve what they want in life for some reasons.

There are many tall challenges and difficult situations as we go on with life. Confronted with such situations, we can find a defining moment that forms the shape of our quest. If there is a war, we have a quest for peace. If one of the family members is lost, we have a quest for his comeback. If we are heavily indebted, we have a quest for financial freedom. If we are trapped somewhere, we have a quest to return home. If we feel alone and sad, we have a quest for company and joy.

Cambridge Dictionary defines 'quest' as 'a long search for something that is difficult to find, or an attempt to achieve something difficult'.

Prince Harry created an international adaptive multi-sport event called Invictus Games. Wounded, injured or sick armed services personnel and their associated veterans can take in sports games including wheelchair basketball, sitting volleyball and indoor rowing. It was at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (London, United Kingdom) that the first Invictus Games took place in March 2014.  It would be difficult for them to participate in the games, let alone win them -- but they did. It took time to finetune their minds and prepare their bodies  -- and what a quest!

As for me, more than a decade of a quest for something is sometimes unthinkable. Others misunderstand me but I don't live by their wrong opinions on what I am, who I am, what I do, what I plan to do and what I want to achieve in my life. I don't care at all.  I am not measured by how others look at me, but by what the power in me can do for my spirit to rise, find that 'star' and achieve that 'something difficult'.

Many times people advise me to do this and that -- as they see only 1/8 of myself like the tip of an iceberg. I hate being dictated what to do when they only know that 'tip' of me. My mother always told me to keep the mystery part, the essence, under. I met very few people who can dig that depth of me -- even in silence.

One evening, I bought some painting materials. My friend asked me why I would waste time painting and who would buy my artworks. I explained to her a bit about my passion but when I sensed that we were on different pages, I stopped explaining things.

My quest when I do painting? A whole new world. The "If" world, when 'all stars go out'. Dominance on canvas. Freedom of the brushes to move and delight to see how colors blend.

Vincent van Gogh's words echoed in my mind, "If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint', then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." I did paint. One day my artworks will reach the hands of my target arts enthusiasts. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

What is your quest story? Are you a determined soul? No chance nor fate can stop a person of determination.

Sometimes life is a like a hell. We 'march to that hell for a heavenly cause' --

To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march into hell
For a heavenly cause.

-- like a mother who can run through the ring of fire to save her child, so to speak. The world may be full of hell, but it is also full of heaven.

Can you be with me? Let's passionately master the obstacle game, racing from where we are now to what we can become, with an unalterable determination.

Please tell me your quest story.


---
Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol