Skip to main content

Food, Beverage and Medicine's Shelf Life


How important is an item's shelf life to you? Does it really matter? What if, for some reasons, some bad people changed the expiry dates? I viewed one documentary on some medicines with some men erasing the expiry dates with an acetone and then stamping new dates on the products packaging.

Where is their conscience? Are they not thinking that many people can possibly die because of their greed for money? Or perhaps they read Harvard Health Publishing of Harvard Medical School ("Drug Expiration Dates -- Do They Mean Anything?") that "the effectiveness of a drug may decrease over time, but much of the original potency still remains even a decade after the expiration date". So it is important to check the manufacturing date.

Few years back I had a flatmate who was always excited when she purchased processed foods at very much low prices. She always looked for those items with shelf life soon to finish. Maybe it was also one reason she always suffered from some illnesses. I think the expenses were more than the money she saved in buying those expiring foods. 

I buy processed foods, too, but I prefer fresh foods. When I buy chicken, I choose fresh cuts, not frozen.

Fresh foods are more expensive than those offered in the fast foods and packed in different containers -- reason most people prefer to eat in fast foods restaurants or just buy instant foods packed in cans and sachets. People look for those with longest shelf life -- without realizing that those with longest shelf life are the unhealthiest.

In the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the government is very strict when it comes to foods and beverages. There is a system in place to ensure that milk, dairy products, juice and bevarages are for safe human consumption. Recently His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, issued Cabinet Resolutions Nos 29 and 30.  Related vendors and supplies must obtain conformity certificate parallel to governing rules and there must be a quality mark on said items. (Read more here.)

One time I overlooked checking the expiry date of a processed food, only to  find out later that it did not show anything, maybe it faded because it was in the wet section (?) -- so I just threw it to the bin to be safe.

But come to think of it -- how many foods and beverages are wasted everyday at home, in the restaurants and supermarkets / stores, for expiry reason? On the surface we see only the wastage in the contents and containers, without realizing all related costs (from farmers to manufacturers to distributors and stores) which eventually would end up in trash cans and dumpsites. This means additional costs in trash collection, dumping and harm to environment.

Beepscan is an expiration date tracking solution. The website says "Flawless quality tracking is strictly connected to customer's safety. Selling expired products will cost your credibility and consumer's trust. BEEP will prevent such circumstances. Customers safety should come before everything."

This is recommended for the supermarket / store operators to immediately pull out expired goods from their shelves. But for consumers who store their foods in the refrigerator or cabinets or transfer them to containers, the expiry dates are sometimes forgotten, if not ignored.

Those intelligent bar code scanners can read the expiry dates with other data encoded, and machine to machine understand each other. Average buyers sometimes find it difficult to locate expiry dates or if there are, they are stamped over a text or image, or are printed in small and light grey ink, making it difficult to read. There are instances when they show no expiry date.

My niece who used to work in fast food chains advised me to check the date the product is manufactured if I cannot see the expiry date.

It will be a good idea to teach the public about the shelf life of foods and common terms or symbols manufacturers use in labelling their products.

Stilltasty.com is a very good website that advises users about the shelf life of a food or beverage. It has a search bar. I wrote my favorite 'salmon' -- and it showed different search options.

Since I like to buy raw salmon, I learned that it is good to keep it in the freezer from one (1) to two (2) days and in freezer two (2) to three (3) months. There are more useful tips written there. This is amazing! Thanks, stilltasty.com!

I always have magnifying glasses to properly check the expiry dates of my foods and beverages as well as medicines, then passionately mark the dates using black pentel pen on containers. If I have to transfer any item to a jar,  I cut the label showing expiry dates and put it inside.

There are times when the expiry date of the food is a few days away, but there is a mold or you smell something bad. I always remember what my mother told me, "When in doubt, throw it out!"   There are items which expired already but they still appear and smell good.

As consumers, we must know when foods, beverages and medicines are safe  or unsafe to consume or take. It is plain common sense.

---

Photo credits:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wasting of Women's Talents Must Cease"

Here I am in a four-cornered room, thinking of many things that I can do considering my talents, but I cannot utilize to the fullest due to some obstacles which are not just in the mind but real. I am woman -- I know I have a power inside me yet I feel vulnerable. There is an interesting article published in Gulf News, "In the Middle East, Momentum for Women Must Pick Up Speed" written by Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, dated 31 May 2018. Very timely, indeed, that I saw this article few minutes back. I am inspired to read similar write-ups promoting advocacy on importance of empowering women by giving them solid support. Can we quantify wasted women's talents? Maybe we can in terms of lost opportunities. Or can we enumerate wasted women's talents if we cannot quantify them? There are women who are full-time mothers and housewives, either by choice or by tradition or both. We know that being so is indeed a tiring unpaid job for many women. For some they

Of Ginger-Lemon Water, and A/C Off

  And so I am now again drinking a lot of hot lemon tea with ginger. It will help improve my health immunity .  WebMD.com says, " Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which both have immunity-boosting properties. Ginger also has immunity-boosting properties and can guard against some bacteria." Am coughing when my back is sweating. The air conditioner is switched off again. If you are in the Gulf area, even if it is December it is still hot. There are times when it is even hotter inside my partitioned room with a window facing the sun, no building near ours to block the scorching heat -- than the actual temperature outside. I have a temperature app in my mobile phone and I regularly check it. When I switch on the air conditioner, somebody else switches it off. (I remember when we transferred to the our previous flat and I was told that the A/C was centralized, 24/7 on. I was grateful because the heat of human bodies, the lights, their gadgets -- laptops and m

'Hotelcation' and More

My youngest daughter surprised me with the good news that she was allowed to go on Eid vacation for some days. She badly needed rest and relaxation for a work-life balance. It was very hot here in the UAE when we got blissfully reunited at 2 PM.  It was Eid so most hotels nearby were either fully booked, or if not, their room rate boards showed AED800/day +/-. My frugal daughter stepped back when she saw 'towering' figures. A I watched my Buninay eating halohalo in our meeting place, a restaurant serving Filipino foods, I held my tears back. She ordered 'mixed-with-everything' fried rice, grilled squid and  kinilaw  (raw fish with vinegar, chili and chopped onions).  Memories of her childhood flooded in my mind. How time flies! My then-baby-who-is-now-a-lady wanted to spoil me. Felt truly blessed beyond words. We hopped to Seattle's Best in the mall near the mosque. While indulging myself with my favorite Cinnabon bites and strawberry smoothies, and my ol